General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Rear suspension clank

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:52 PM

Rear suspension clank

So I'm not very experienced with solid axle rears. That being said here is the issue: grab the rear of the car and shake left to right clank clank clank. Jack up either side attemp to shake no noise feels solid. It doesn't have any noticeable issues while driving. But it definitely can't be normal. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Re: Rear suspension clank

The body is centered side-to-side over the rear axle assembly by the panhard bar. Check for loose bolts and worn bushings. If that is what is wrong, I would also expect the clank when suddenly cornering, or with extreme up-and-down movement caused by bumps and dips.

The panhard bar is a long, upside down U-shaped bar that runs diagonally from the rear of the driver side end of the axle assembly, to a large vertical arm projecting downwards from the passenger side of the body. The black one in this photo is aftermarket and tubular rather than the stock U-shape.

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board - Injuneer's Album: Injuneer's 94 Formula - Picture
Old 07-07-2016, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by RickyRick
So I'm not very experienced with solid axle rears. That being said here is the issue: grab the rear of the car and shake left to right clank clank clank. Jack up either side attemp to shake no noise feels solid. It doesn't have any noticeable issues while driving. But it definitely can't be normal. Thoughts? Thanks!
I have the same sound on my 94, I was thinking wheel bearings or panhard. I also have a squeaking noise.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:08 AM

I had the squeaking noise in the rear end when I pushed down on the rear of the car and it was the sway bar bushings.Greased them and all is quiet now.Might watch this video on utube----How to fix repair suspension squeaks noise growns sway bar rubbers instructional tutorial.---Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:28 PM

Any update?
Old 07-09-2016, 11:39 PM

Just a looooong shot here but are the lug nuts tight?Also,might check the shock nuts at the top of the shock.If you pull down the rear seat you will see two perforated square patch like things.Cut only three sides of each one with a razor blade as to leave one side as a hinge and pull it open.Then move the sound deadening stuff and the foam out of the way with your fingers and the top of the shock will be exposed.If the nuts are loose then that may be the cause.Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 AM

I'm guessing the exhaust pipe might be touching the rear axle where it loops around and creating the noise. You won't see it when it's on a lift because there's no load on the suspension. Take a look, good luck.