General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Possibl to Lift a 89 Pontiac Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 06:22 PM

Possibl to Lift a 89 Pontiac Firebird?

Lets face it, the way i drive, speedbumps and dips around here just arent helping the bottom of my cars out at all. My Ford feels the abuse every day.

Im not sure if its been done before, but my boss just put a 3 inch lift on his F250 truck. I know a truck isnt a pontiac firebird, but has anyone attempted it? Can it be done with the proper suspension support, ect? Im too tall to have a ground-floor car anyway but i dont want to give up my baby either!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:58 PM

Re: Possibl to Lift a 89 Pontiac Firebird?

I know there is a third-gen owner on this board that has a custom hydraulic kit in his car that lifts and lowers the car to his driving needs. It probably cost a small fortune though. You'll just have to learn how to take steep inclines and speedbumps without bottoming out the car and banging stuff or you'll have some very hefty repair bills.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:04 PM

I dont want hydraulics i just want to raise the car higher up on its wheels. But if they can put hydraulics on it, i must be able to do a simple lift. =]
Old 09-05-2005, 07:07 PM

I think you want to go in the wrong direction! Alot of people want to drop there cars, hence the market is full of lowering spring kits. However, I haven't seen a complete "lift-kit" for a third-gen f-body. And the guy with the hydraulic set-up, I do believe that was all custom made.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:19 PM

how old is the current suspension?

if old, it has probably sagged and is soft, so all new stock height springs and shocks might do alot to help your clearance issues

my old IROC had the stock springs, and it sat the same height as a friends 88 that had new 2" drop springs, so, it theory, new springs in my old car would have raised it approx. 2"
Old 09-05-2005, 09:51 PM

If a person can lift a thirdgen up a full 35 inches off the ground... and make it look like it came from the factory.. i am sure you can lift it 3 inches.. jsut depends on if you can find parts that will do it for you and how much custom work you want to give it. taller tires ould help you some.. just ahve to watch out the rubbing.. and you can not tell me that taller tires will make the car look odd. because lifting it 3 inches will do the say anyhow.. lol
Old 09-06-2005, 11:52 AM

I would suggest an airride kit. That way you get a complete new suspension, and have the ability to keep the car at a good looking ride height and then lift it up when you need to.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:37 PM

I think the other guy here hit the nail on the head. If you still have the original springs - they are toast.

And if it happens to be a V6 - those springs were very soft even when new. Go to a fresh V8 setup and you should be much better off.

Cheap way to see if an inch or two will really help? Buy a set of those cheap spring expanders from Autozone or whereever, crank up your current springs an inch, and try it out. And if you know your stuff is worn/sagging, this will also help you simulate fresh clearances.

Doing a lift on a bird is crazy, and would cost a fortune to do right.