General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 07:56 PM

Spark Plugs

Over winter I'm planning on installing my Pacestter LTs, and I figured I might as well chage out the plugs and wires. Seeing that its such a challenging task due to space constraints, I figured I'd change out the plugs once I get the exhaust manifolds off. The problem is, I don't know whether to just get some good ole AC Delcos or upgrade. I've heard bad things about platinum or double platinum plugs on GM cars. (don't ask what, I can't remember, just that it wasn't good) Is it worth it to buy iridium plugs for a stock LT1? Or, I've heard from my mechanic, and a couple other performance guys that AC Delcos are the safest most reliable for GM cars. So, what are your guys opinions? What do you run?

P.S. I'm thinking MSD 8,5 mm plug wires also. Good? Any better?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:41 PM

Re: Spark Plugs

MSD's are great. As far as plugs, you can do a search and fine some good opinions. I've used nothing but NGK TR55's in my LS1 and they work very well. Cheap too.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:02 PM

Second for NGK-TR55's, i hear they are the best to use. Also if your looking for wires check out www.elitesparkplugs.com. They have many sets of wires that are nicely priced. Im about to purchase the 8 or 8.5mm with heatshields. Good customer service and they have what everyone needs.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:37 PM

ive used only NGK plugs and have had nothing but good results.. also id recommend MSD wires ive heard some bad things lately about Taylor wires
Old 10-26-2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by TJ Chapman
Over winter I'm planning on installing my Pacestter LTs, and I figured I might as well chage out the plugs and wires. Seeing that its such a challenging task due to space constraints, I figured I'd change out the plugs once I get the exhaust manifolds off. The problem is, I don't know whether to just get some good ole AC Delcos or upgrade. I've heard bad things about platinum or double platinum plugs on GM cars. (don't ask what, I can't remember, just that it wasn't good) Is it worth it to buy iridium plugs for a stock LT1? Or, I've heard from my mechanic, and a couple other performance guys that AC Delcos are the safest most reliable for GM cars. So, what are your guys opinions? What do you run?

P.S. I'm thinking MSD 8,5 mm plug wires also. Good? Any better?
With the platinum plugs, it is common for the pucks to fall off, which is what I'm guessing the problem you are thinking of. As for plugs, I am also running the NGK TR-55s, they are very cheap and they are effective. You might also want to look into an over-the-valve cover wire setup to since you are going to run long tubes. For that, I purchased the loom kit from thunderracing.com and I got a pre-made set of wires from www.elitesparkplugs.com
Old 10-26-2005, 09:57 AM

I'd also recommend upgrading your plug wires. I did when installing my L/T's and have not had one problem.

My brother installed L/T's on his LS1, and did not upgrade. He kept fouling plugs as a result.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 AM

MSD Wires though stock location. NGK TR55's are treating me good, but Autolites are a great brand too. I only went with NGK over Autolite since they were in stock when I needed them.

-Dustin-