General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Not another overheating issue 95 z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:15 PM

Not another overheating issue 95 z28

Hey guys, having another overheating issue..

14 months or so ago: Car running hot / replaced all hoses, waterpump, thermostat ran good until recently

2 weeks ago I was driving back from camping, came around a corner and all of a sudden my car temperature went from average 190-210 ish to the top of the gauge - Pulled over and saw coolant leaking from my overflow resevoir.

Took it to mechanic he told me the thermostat should be replaced and maybe the water pump too- Replaced both and got back on the road..

Tonight I was driving back 70 or so miles home from Tucson when all of a sudden my temp went from 190-210 ish area to the top... Coolant coming out the resevoir AGAIN..

Car ran great for the week or so i've had it back until now??

Mechanic said fans are good, radiator is good, the cap was just replaced by the way as well as therm & water pump.. There is no fluid in my oil, no water out my exhaust - no ****ty colored coolant.. I'm stumped

Am i missing something obvious to you LT1 nuts?
Old 11-11-2016, 12:11 AM

Re: Not another overheating issue 95 z28

I'm nuts but it keeps me from going insane.Anyway,I would go to autozone and rent a coolant system tester.It's easy,just hook it up and pump it up to 17 or 18 lb's or so and wait for a while and see if the pressure drops.If it holds,then I would buy a genuine gm thermostat as the off brand types don't work.Also if you have a leak in that little hose that goes from the overflow bottle to the radiator,that can some issues.Finally, you may have a blown head gasket.(from previous posts)Hope that is not the case.The coolant system tester saved me time by showing me I had leaks at all the radiator hoses ,because the clamps were not tight enough.I had never done this before and was amazed.The autozone tester is free you just leave a deposit and you get it back 100% when you return it.Shoebox and Injuneer are more experts than I on this But
1: coolant pressure check.
2: compression check.
3:coolant recovery system hose check.
4:radiator clogged?
Hope this helps.My02.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 AM

thanks for the advice, going to get the car towed to a buddy's shop he was thinking of doing the pressure check on the system that's one thing I havent done personally - I just don't have the time to do this stuff myself anymore and it sucks having work done you can't oversee or double check.. Double sad face :(

Honestly at this point I don't care what the issue is (whether it be a gasket issue or not) Just want the issue resolved !
Old 11-11-2016, 09:19 PM

Sorry,didn't mean a genuine thermostat but a genuine gm radiator cap.Makes a big difference.It's the only one that opens and closes correctly.Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:08 PM

Read cap: I got my last one from NAPA which recently replaced those fancy looking ones with levers I had on there before. Not sure if its GM genuine can you link me something

Update: car went to friends shop, My buddy told me my fans would not stay on all the time. Not sure what electrical trickery I got going on there but I am going the toggle switch route now. kinda frustrated that my main mechanic wouldn't of caught that.. But now I got two mechanics I guess... I am praying this is the end to these hiccups I have put a boat load of money in maintence on this car this year for what Im putting into it ... It needs to be driving and not pulling this **** I literally before I got the call from the shop this morning was looking at replacement toys on craigslist
Old 11-12-2016, 01:12 PM

Fans are not programmed to run all of the time.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Moparman thats obvious with cooling fans sorry I should of typed that differently.

Redacted version:

Cooling fans don't come on all the time when I need them to come on...
Old 11-12-2016, 09:45 PM

Go to Rock Auto web site.Choose Chev.then camaro then 5.7 then cooling system the radiator cap.AC Delco part #RC 94.$7.83 plus shipping.Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Stock fan programming is 226*F for both on low speed, 235*F both high speed. Fan on/off temps can be changed in the program.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:51 PM

Bad news from the mechanic ... Exhaust gases in the radiator.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:01 PM

I'm looking at my engine and I'm wondering how exhaust gases could get in the radiator.My only conclusion(I'm by no means a mechanic)is that the head gasket may have blown or a cracked head .Might do a google search for more info.Did your mechanic offer a fix or some more tests?Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 AM

Fatdog. Im buying the o2 test kit tomororrow. Its a little kit that you hook up to your radiator cap port and it will turn a bad color if their is o2 in your radiator. Surprisingly the shop its at didn't have such a test kit available so I am buying it myself and most likely going to trailer it to my main mechanic miles away. I am actually hopeful it comes back positive. I need a definite answer on this damn over heating ive been having on and off since I have owned the car. I would also love for a chance to get that head off for other reasons but I couldn't justify the expense. Now I can do a little work to the heads while Im there. Hopefully nothing bad has happened other than the gasket.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Administrator

The test kit detects CO2 (carbon dioxide), one of the two main producers of burning hydrocarbons.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The test kit detects CO2 (carbon dioxide), one of the two main producers of burning hydrocarbons.
Yes sir I know it's c02.. I have been replying via cellphone and have been struggling with autocorrect.

Hope all is well with you Injuneer !
Old 11-16-2016, 02:33 PM

Well the verdict is in....

Name:  wC4jcfu.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  15.2 KB

Guilty - Head Gasket is a goner.

Now hours of research begins on what the heck else I want to do while this thing is tore down... Waiting on a estimate for the minimum (replacement head gasket) - and considering my options.. perhaps a port polish, perhaps new cylinders - maybe go for a 52 TB too...

Idea's? Suggestions? I'm alright with investing a lil bit of money on some stuff while I'm working that part of the motor.. Thanks all