General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

fixed the windows in 93 Z28

Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 PM

fixed the windows in 93 Z28

The AutoTrix wiring kit for the passenger window arrived today so I duly got to work.
Everything went pretty well. The part you need to be careful with is the wiring of the relays. They are quite bulky too. and needed to be tucked away inside the door.
The passenger window works nicely now, very fast.
Unfortunately I pressed too hard on the lock switch when re-assembling the switches, and it broke the housing or something. Does not work now.
I have found a replacement on ebay and will change out the switches

The drivers window was still slow after the fix, I suspected a bad motor.
So, I set to on the drivers door and changed out the motor. I bench tested the motor out of the car and it was shot. Slow and then just stopped.
I had two re-man motors from Oreilly's and they come with six nuts and bolts. I used three, assembled it and tested it. Much better. Not as fast as the passenger window, but up and down without stops, so I call it success for today.

If you have slow windows I can say the work is easy and straightforward to fix them.
If you are near St. Joseph Michigan I will do it for you if you like. A six pack and a few hours work. (I keep the six pack, you bring your own drinks)

So, only the speedo left to fix, and this car is pretty much 100%.

I thought about posting pics, but shoebox has it covered, and, I just posted a bunch of pics on the thread about fixing the console, and 24 hours later ...nothing, not one comment.
I am having a lot of fun fixing this car. Hope my amateur efforts either amuse or inspire a few folks.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Re: fixed the windows in 93 Z28

Originally Posted by SA68SS
......., I just posted a bunch of pics on the thread about fixing the console, and 24 hours later ...nothing, not one comment.....
Are you aware of the traffic count on this site, compared to what it used to be? The LT1's are becoming history. We are struggling. There are a few of us that have been here for years, and are doing our best to make sure everyone gets the help they need, and I believe I made a significant effort to help you understand how to fix the console.

There are a lot of people who come here for a single problem, get what they want and never contribute or even come back to the site. I've answered questions within minutes of a problem being posted, and two or three weeks later the person who asked the question hasn't even come back to check for a response.

Not sure what kind of comments you are looking for. Yes, great info. Thank you.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Are you aware of the traffic count on this site, compared to what it used to be? The LT1's are becoming history. We are struggling. There are a few of us that have been here for years, and are doing our best to make sure everyone gets the help they need, and I believe I made a significant effort to help you understand how to fix the console.

There are a lot of people who come here for a single problem, get what they want and never contribute or even come back to the site. I've answered questions within minutes of a problem being posted, and two or three weeks later the person who asked the question hasn't even come back to check for a response.

Not sure what kind of comments you are looking for. Yes, great info. Thank you.
Hey Fred, fair points you make. It is a pity the site, and the LT1's are 'declining'.

I sure do appreciate the efforts you make to keep things going here, as well as answering all the many tech and body questions. Don't get discouraged, I guess it is a bit of the syndrome I call the 'ten year rule'

I see cars go down in price for ten years. Then they level off for ten years. What is still in good condition after those twenty years starts to increase in value. the thirty year mark is the prime time for V8 and muscle type cars, when they start to become survivors, and interesting to youngsters looking for 'old school muscle' and older types who remember the car from their high school days, and want to restore one.

I am not sure how the 93-02 models will travel, since they are very modern looking compared to first gen Camaros, but, a 2 door Chevy V8 will always have appeal. Hopefully our cars are a good investment from this point on!

thanks for the reply. I post to show others what can be done, maybe inspire someone to start fixing up a problem they have with their car. Shoebox has a great site, very helpful, very generous.

Kudos Fred, and keep the faith, brother. We need you.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:01 PM

The AutoTrix wiring kit for the passenger window arrived today so I duly got to work.
Everything went pretty well. The part you need to be careful with is the wiring of the relays. They are quite bulky too. and needed to be tucked away inside the door.
The passenger window works nicely now, very fast.
Unfortunately I pressed too hard on the lock switch when re-assembling the switches, and it broke the housing or something. Does not work now.
I have found a replacement on ebay and will change out the switches

The drivers window was still slow after the fix, I suspected a bad motor.
So, I set to on the drivers door and changed out the motor. I bench tested the motor out of the car and it was shot. Slow and then just stopped.
I had two re-man motors from Oreilly's and they come with six nuts and bolts. I used three, assembled it and tested it. Much better. Not as fast as the passenger window, but up and down without stops, so I call it success for today.

If you have slow windows I can say the work is easy and straightforward to fix them.
If you are near St. Joseph Michigan I will do it for you if you like. A six pack and a few hours work. (I keep the six pack, you bring your own drinks)

So, only the speedo left to fix, and this car is pretty much 100%.

I thought about posting pics, but shoebox has it covered, and, I just posted a bunch of pics on the thread about fixing the console, and 24 hours later ...nothing, not one comment.
I am having a lot of fun fixing this car. Hope my amateur efforts either amuse or inspire a few folks.
I really should to that on my 93z passenger window also, were did you buy your kit from. Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 07:22 AM
Administrator

The AutoTrix wiring kit for the passenger window arrived today so I duly got to work.......
Originally Posted by alex-z28
I really should to that on my 93z passenger window also, were did you buy your kit from. Thanks
AutoTrix:

AutoTrix :: 93-02 Camaro
Old 07-01-2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by alex-z28
I actually purchased the kit thru Amazon, but it posted from Autotrix office, I am sure.
I contacted Jed Parmenter directly on the Autotrix email and got a very quick reply and all the info I needed. Nice guy.

If you have an Amazon account it makes purchasing easy. Easier than via Autotrix, for me. Same price when all shipping is calculated.

Robot Check