General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

New z28 any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 08:40 AM

New z28 any tips?

Hello all,
I recently bought a 95 z28 manual with 47k miles. I love this car and i want to learn more about it. I just am wondering any key things that i should look out for or anything that is notorious with the car. Any tips would be helpful! Thank you!!
Old 05-08-2022, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Re: New z28 any tips?

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com ! ! !

Start by exploring the “Shoebox” website. This is the online “bible” for LT1 info and troubleshooting:

shbox.com

You can also download a free copy of the 1995 factory service manual:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

The LT1 engine used in the 93-97 Camaros is just an updated version of the 40-year old “small block Chevy” (SBC) V8. It is referred to as a Gen 2 SBC. There are two major differences that can cause issues:

- the engine uses “reverse flow cooling”, in which the coolant from the radiator is directed to the heads first. This requires a unique thermostat, and also requires that ALL air be removed from the cooling system. Failure to successfully bleed the air from the cooling system can lead to overheating, and in the extreme case, blown head gaskets.

- the engine uses a pancake style ignition distributor, mounted on the front of the engine, driven by the camshaft. The distributor, known as the “Optispark”, contains an optical cam position module that provides the info required to time the ignition spark, and the sequential fuel injection. New units are no longer manufactured. AC Delco sells rebuilt units. Other vendors sell repro units, ranging from cheap Chinese junk to overpriced “name” brands. Before replacing the distributor, do your homework. Also advised not to pressure wash the engine, particularly the front.

With the correct upgrades the vehicle is extremely capable of all kinds of high performance driving, whether you are into drag racing, road racing, auto-X, etc. There's a lot of info available here using the “search” feature. Add a “signature” to your account. That way when you ask a question, people will have the required info about your car. There are subtle differences between model years that have to be taken into account:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/

When asking for help, be patient. Not a lot of active members left here. But they are knowledgeable, and can point you in the correct direction.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:51 PM

Re: New z28 any tips?

Still here, a bit greyer a bit slower. Frank