General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

LT1 VATS removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 PM

LT1 VATS removal

While I have the dash out of my car, I want to delete as much stuff as possible. The eventual plan is for my car to be a weekend racer and not a daily driver. I have already completed some weight reduction such as the removal of the rear seats, air bags, spare tire/jack, air pump and quite a few other things. I want to remove the entire VATS system since I already have an aftermarket alarm. The VATS has already been deleted out of the PCM by Brian over at PCMforless. What would I have to do to be able and delete all the wiring and boxes from behind the dash? If I could do this, it will make it possible to delete the bracket that held on the passenger air bag as well. I called Brian and had a short conversation with him concerning this, but my phone seems to hate me lately. He said something about having to wire up the starter and fuel pump? I have never heard of this. My car is a 95 Z28 LT1. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sinister95Z
While I have the dash out of my car, I want to delete as much stuff as possible. The eventual plan is for my car to be a weekend racer and not a daily driver. I have already completed some weight reduction such as the removal of the rear seats, air bags, spare tire/jack, air pump and quite a few other things. I want to remove the entire VATS system since I already have an aftermarket alarm. The VATS has already been deleted out of the PCM by Brian over at PCMforless. What would I have to do to be able and delete all the wiring and boxes from behind the dash? If I could do this, it will make it possible to delete the bracket that held on the passenger air bag as well. I called Brian and had a short conversation with him concerning this, but my phone seems to hate me lately. He said something about having to wire up the starter and fuel pump? I have never heard of this. My car is a 95 Z28 LT1. Thanks for any and all help.
Deleting vats from the pcm is only half of the vats system. The pcm looks for the resister in the key and if it sees it then it enables spark and fuel. But the starter and fuel pump are controlled by a completely different module.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Deleting vats from the pcm is only half of the vats system. The pcm looks for the resister in the key and if it sees it then it enables spark and fuel. But the starter and fuel pump are controlled by a completely different module.

fuel pump is not effected by VATS

theft detterant relay(VATS starter kill relay) is controlled by the BCM on 95+ cars

it is the BCM that monitors the key resistor, and sends a signal to the PCM saying its ok to start

feel free to pull the BCM, but you will need to rewire the theft detterant relay, to start without the BCM and to keep the nuetral safety system operating

I am not sure what else the BCM controls on these cars, so remove at your own risk
Old 04-18-2007, 09:22 PM

I am still confused. Is it possible to trick the car into starting if I remove all the modules and wiring? I am completly a noob when it comes to the VATS system.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by LiENUS
The PCM does not look for key resistance. The VATS module or BCM (depending on year) does. The VATS does not kill spark.

What is this "completely different module" that controls the starter and fuel pump?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sinister95Z
I am still confused. Is it possible to trick the car into starting if I remove all the modules and wiring? I am completly a noob when it comes to the VATS system.
So, you have the VATS programmed out already. All you need to do is take the yellow/black wire that goes to terminal A1 of the theft deterrent relay and permanently ground it. That will retain your clutch or park/neutral functions intact and allow starter operation.

Since you have a 1995 (going by your screen name), you don't have a BCM. BCMs started in 1996.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:03 PM

Thank you shoebox, I was hoping you would provide some information. Where is this Theft Deterrent relay and how will I know what terminal is A1? Do I not have to do the resister mod to the wires under the steering column?

Just to make sure I have this correct: If I ground the yellow/black wire permanently and since I already have the PCM re-programmed, I can delete all the VATS wiring and boxes?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 PM

The TDR is to the right of the glove box, tucked under the lower edge of the dash. The hatch relay is next to it. It's the only yellow/black going into it. The other wires are yellow or purple and much bigger.
Together with the re-programming you had done and grounding this lead, you don't have to worry about bypassing the key pellet or keeping the VATS module. Just don't remove the TDR.

Last edited by shoebox; 04-19-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:37 AM

Thank you very much. Your help is appreciated.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Re: LT1 VATS removal

Originally Posted by shoebox
The TDR is to the right of the glove box, tucked under the lower edge of the dash. The hatch relay is next to it. It's the only yellow/black going into it. The other wires are yellow or purple and much bigger.
Together with the re-programming you had done and grounding this lead, you don't have to worry about bypassing the key pellet or keeping the VATS module. Just don't remove the TDR.
I have VATS disabled through my tune on the PCM, so if I ground this yellow/black wire, will my "security" light shut off? It's been on since about a month after I got the car and has never gone away.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by raroz28
I have VATS disabled through my tune on the PCM, so if I ground this yellow/black wire, will my "security" light shut off? It's been on since about a month after I got the car and has never gone away.
No, the light won't go out, because the BCM (96-97) controls it. The BCM would have to see the correct resistance from the key pellet (or a resistor).
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 AM

If your car has VATS tuned out....leave it be. To take 3 lbs of wiring out would be way more work than its really worth.