General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Lt1 rapid overheat after head gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:44 AM

Lt1 rapid overheat after head gasket change

Hello all, I just joined the forum hoping for some help. I change my head gaskets on my lt1. Previous owner cooked the heads so I had them milled. New thermostat. Now on my first start up while trying to follow the instruction I found and read many post on this fourm the car sky rockets to the red line. Maybe in 2 minutes. The coolant in the radiator isn't hot I can put my fingers in it and not get burnt. The temp gauge sending unit is new as well. I know it's probably air but how I can get the air out if I only have 2 minutes or so before it hits the red. Also I've tried about 4 times now. Thank you all.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Re: Lt1 rapid overheat after head gasket change

Originally Posted by RickyRick
Hello all, I just joined the forum hoping for some help. I change my head gaskets on my lt1. Previous owner cooked the heads so I had them milled. New thermostat. Now on my first start up while trying to follow the instruction I found and read many post on this fourm the car sky rockets to the red line. Maybe in 2 minutes. The coolant in the radiator isn't hot I can put my fingers in it and not get burnt. The temp gauge sending unit is new as well. I know it's probably air but how I can get the air out if I only have 2 minutes or so before it hits the red. Also I've tried about 4 times now. Thank you all.
Did you make sure that the coupler/shaft was on the water pump,that's one of the things I can think of
Old 06-19-2016, 10:06 AM

Yes I am pretty positive but I can double check
Old 06-19-2016, 11:19 AM

Based on your description, it is almost always air in the system. Use the fill procedure on my tech page.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:36 PM

Thanks I've followed it I have a large amount of bubbles coming out of the radiator cap then the temp heads to the red zone. Do I just keep repeating? I've tried w/o the thermostat to no avail same result
Old 06-19-2016, 04:21 PM

Well verified the pump is working. It seems I can't run long enough for the thermostats to open so the radiator remains cool thus the fans do not turn on but the gauge is red. How can I bleed the system if I cannot run it long enough to get the thermostat open and remove the air pockets..?
Old 06-19-2016, 04:32 PM
Administrator

How did you determine the water pump is working?

And you followed Shoebox's procedure EXACTLY?

Hate to mention it, but..... leaking head gasket?
Old 06-19-2016, 04:48 PM

removed thermostat looked in radiator saw circulation. Removed water pump front cover bared engine over observed pump rotation.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by RickyRick
Well verified the pump is working. It seems I can't run long enough for the thermostats to open so the radiator remains cool thus the fans do not turn on but the gauge is red. How can I bleed the system if I cannot run it long enough to get the thermostat open and remove the air pockets..?
Try to see if the engine is really hot (have a temp gun?) Gauge may be lying. Steam pockets will make the sensor in the head go nuts. If engine temp is really not hot, continue to run it. BTW, most all air is purged during filling.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:31 PM

I do have a temp gun I'll take some temps. I suspect it is steam pockets as it isn't boiling and the heat just begins to get warm as it hits the red. The engine doesn't feel like a super hot engine. What temps shot on the sides of the head would be in the range of operating temp? 215 ish? Thanks for the help it's kinda got me stumped!
Old 06-19-2016, 08:57 PM

Ok I have some data temp gauge in car reads near red. IR temp gun reads 110 on the sending unit and around it. ohm'd the sending unit and got a measurement of 48.5 ohms I don't know what the reference is for ohms/degrees but I believe the ohms correlate to the measurement on the gauge i.e. Lower ohm higher reading in degrees on the gauge. Either way surface temp seems way low for what the gauge says.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:39 PM

48.5 doesn't sound right.

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles
Old 06-19-2016, 10:33 PM

Bad sensor? I snapped the plastic bit off the original one removing my manifold.. This is not an ac delco sensor it's a Orileys whatever it's new so maybe defective?
Old 06-20-2016, 07:32 AM

I always recommend the ACDelco part for this sensor. The parts stores are notorious for giving out the wrong sensor for this.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:37 AM

I'll pick one up after work. I'm also going to boil some water and ohm the Murphy sensor and post the values vs temps

Quick Reply: Lt1 rapid overheat after head gasket change