General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Ls3 Vs 302

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
This has to be one of the dumbest questions I've ever seen.
I completely agree with this statement.

The 302 gets much of it's badass presence from nostalgia. I have yet to see any concrete evidence of this "500hp motor", and this subject has been discussed to death. I suspect that there are going to be any number of guys coming into this thread with their own stories about this motor, but again there will be nothing concrete. Yeah, the motor likes to rev. So what? You could get an LS6 to rev it's *** off on a dyno too, if you were really trying to prove something. At 8500rpm I bet that 302 is a real SOB to it's short lived valvesprings.

The fact is, the 69 z28 was a 14 second car, at best. I have certainly read of much worse times for it than that. An absolutely stock 2.73 A4 convertible LS1 fbody would eat one, let alone anything else with an LS1 in it, all the while doing it in an engine that is going to require little upkeep, in a car that is quite possibly heavier than a 69 z28.

How could Ford patent a displacement? Does that mean someone could patent a certain sized tire, and no one else could use that tire?

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Really? Then why is it the 302 in its day bested the bigger 350 and even some 396 big blocks?
You already know the reason for this. Because they were gimp motors. Putting a race prepped engine up against a wuss prepped engine is going to lend itself to a fairly easy conclusion to come to. There was nothing magical about the 302. It was a race motor. Put it up against a race prepped 396 that spins some high revs, and see how well the No Replacement for Displacement adage keeps itself.

Last edited by RussStang; 07-06-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 PM

I wouldnt mess with a 2008 Vette in mine. Well unless I scared the old fella driving it with a few 8000rpm revs

But yeah they are two completely different motors and comparing the two is pointless. 302's with 500hp, I have never seen one most of the evidence I have seen is 360-380hp at the crank on a mostly stock setup. Cracking the 410-425 modified. Comparing that to a modern day vette motor with 380+ rwhp, that probably weighs 100lbs less, has wider rear tires, and a top end 50 mph higher is a bit difficult. I've heard of 302 powered Camaros in the 11's and 12's, but with the 3-6mpg that goes with them its no comparison to the low to 12 second vette that will be getting 16-18mpg in the city.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by FiefSS
I wouldnt mess with a 2008 Vette in mine. Well unless I scared the old fella driving it with a few 8000rpm revs

But yeah they are two completely different motors and comparing the two is pointless. 302's with 500hp, I have never seen one most of the evidence I have seen is 360-380hp at the crank on a mostly stock setup. Cracking the 410-425 modified. Comparing that to a modern day vette motor with 380+ rwhp, that probably weighs 100lbs less, has wider rear tires, and a top end 50 mph higher is a bit difficult. I've heard of 302 powered Camaros in the 11's and 12's, but with the 3-6mpg that goes with them its no comparison to the low to 12 second vette that will be getting 16-18mpg in the city.
I bet most of the ones you have seen making 360-380hp at the crank were running no accessories, and converted in STD numbers, not SAE numbers. That kind of power would have pulled the Zs into the 13s, and they were not 13 second cars.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:04 PM

The reason i was asking they say that the 302 was awesome on road coarses you could wind them up coming out of the curves. This is why i am asking will the LS3 will be as powerfull in a road race as the 302. Because i live on top of a mountain.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 PM

Why didn't you just ask that to begin with? Sounds like you just got the information from people on this thread and made it sound as if you were asking if it will be a high revving motor, so that you don't sound like a fool. But I don't blame you for it, I've read your threads/posts before.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
The fact is, the 69 z28 was a 14 second car, at best. I have certainly read of much worse times for it than that. An absolutely stock 2.73 A4 convertible LS1 fbody would eat one, let alone anything else with an LS1 in it, all the while doing it in an engine that is going to require little upkeep, in a car that is quite possibly heavier than a 69 z28.
And once again I have to jog the cobwebs from your head and post fact...

Racing legend, Dave Strickler, campaigned this Jenkin's prepared Z/28 Camaro and dominated the ranks of NHRA Super Stock racing during the 1968 season. During the summer of '68, Strickler racked up several wins and runner-up titles at various NHRA Super Stock meets throughout the country. On Sunday, October 6, 1968, Dave drove to a decisive victory over a stellar field of Super Stocks at the NHRA Super Stock All-Star Meet held at Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey. Strickler then went on to capture and win the 1968 Super Stock World Championship title in Tulsa, Oklahoma on October 20, 1968. This was the most prestigious NHRA drag racing event to win!

During the 1968 season, "THE OLD RELIABLE" Z/28 ran elapsed times of 11.70's at 116 mph keeping up with many Super Stock 396 Camaros! This was a stock Z/28 intake manifold and carburetor, stock hood, Stahl Headers, 5.38 gears, and nine-inch slicks.
http://www.z28camaro.com/oldrel.html

Old 07-07-2007, 04:03 AM

I completely agree with this statement.

The 302 gets much of it's badass presence from nostalgia. I have yet to see any concrete evidence of this "500hp motor", and this subject has been discussed to death. I suspect that there are going to be any number of guys coming into this thread with their own stories about this motor, but again there will be nothing concrete. Yeah, the motor likes to rev. So what? You could get an LS6 to rev it's *** off on a dyno too, if you were really trying to prove something. At 8500rpm I bet that 302 is a real SOB to it's short lived valvesprings.

How could Ford patent a displacement? Does that mean someone could patent a certain sized tire, and no one else could use that tire?

You already know the reason for this. Because they were gimp motors. Putting a race prepped engine up against a wuss prepped engine is going to lend itself to a fairly easy conclusion to come to. There was nothing magical about the 302. It was a race motor. Put it up against a race prepped 396 that spins some high revs, and see how well the No Replacement for Displacement adage keeps itself.
Well I hate to contradict your expert "knowledge", but indeed the 69 302 cid engines pulled 8K + RPMs quite easily on the street right off the showroom floor, not on a dyno, I did so in mine quite often. Calling it a "race prepped" engine is about as meaningless/misleading as a term gets, the 302 was not race prepped but a production engine, Chevy had offered several small blocks over the years with solid lifter, high revving versions. "Race prepped" would have been the ones in the Penske/Donohue Z/28 running in the Trans AM series, not the production versions seen at dealers all over the country. I agree there was nothing magical about the 302, but it was a very high performance engine for it's time coupled with an excellent handling chassis package. Perhaps if you had driven one back in the day you would not be quite so harsh in your criticism, I certainly did as I owned one in 1969 and it was an awesome vehicle for it's day.
Clyde
Old 07-07-2007, 10:35 AM

And once again I have to jog the cobwebs from your head and post fact...

http://www.z28camaro.com/oldrel.html

Were there any rules back in the day that gave a smaller displacement engine an advantage to keep it on par with a larger displacement one? Forgive my ignorance, but I really don't know. I still find it hard to believe that a ***** out 302 could keep up with another ***** out engine almost 100 cubes bigger than it, especially when their designs are essentially the same.

Originally Posted by wildpaws
Well I hate to contradict your expert "knowledge", but indeed the 69 302 cid engines pulled 8K + RPMs quite easily on the street right off the showroom floor, not on a dyno, I did so in mine quite often. Calling it a "race prepped" engine is about as meaningless/misleading as a term gets, the 302 was not race prepped but a production engine, Chevy had offered several small blocks over the years with solid lifter, high revving versions. "Race prepped" would have been the ones in the Penske/Donohue Z/28 running in the Trans AM series, not the production versions seen at dealers all over the country. I agree there was nothing magical about the 302, but it was a very high performance engine for it's time coupled with an excellent handling chassis package. Perhaps if you had driven one back in the day you would not be quite so harsh in your criticism, I certainly did as I owned one in 1969 and it was an awesome vehicle for it's day.
Clyde
My point wasn't that it couldn't pull 8500rpm off the showroom floor, my point was more to the effect was that it wasn't going to be a trouble free engine with extended runs up to 8500rpm. Even with it's 3" stroke, at 8500rpm the valvetrain in that thing is taking one hell of a beating. If I didn't care about the longevity of an LS3, I could rev the hell out of it over and over too.

I am harsh in my criticism because of guys coming in here claiming that they were 400-500hp motors. They weren't. Like I said, in the 69 Zs, they were decent 14 second cars at best. I wouldn't have a problem with it at all if guys didn't make up stories about it.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:50 PM

My point wasn't that it couldn't pull 8500rpm off the showroom floor, my point was more to the effect was that it wasn't going to be a trouble free engine with extended runs up to 8500rpm. Even with it's 3" stroke, at 8500rpm the valvetrain in that thing is taking one hell of a beating. If I didn't care about the longevity of an LS3, I could rev the hell out of it over and over too.

I am harsh in my criticism because of guys coming in here claiming that they were 400-500hp motors. They weren't. Like I said, in the 69 Zs, they were decent 14 second cars at best. I wouldn't have a problem with it at all if guys didn't make up stories about it.
No, your point was that you think the 302 was not a true high performance engine and you continue to belittle the fact that it was indeed a strong performer. You continue to quote "they were decent fourteen second cars at best" in spite of evidence presented to the contrary. Just admit it, you don't like the 302 and will never consider it to be a real performer. I on the other hand liked the 302, owned and lived with one back in the day, and have had plenty of experience seeing many different engines going head to head back then. I'll take my experience over your supposed "knowledge" any day. I never made any claim as to the horsepower, what I did was quote a respected Ford engine builder (Holman/Moody) from back in the day that said they bought the parts from Chevy, bolted it together and it was close to 500HP. Nuff said!
Clyde
Old 07-07-2007, 03:46 PM

Were there any rules back in the day that gave a smaller displacement engine an advantage to keep it on par with a larger displacement one? Forgive my ignorance, but I really don't know. I still find it hard to believe that a ***** out 302 could keep up with another ***** out engine almost 100 cubes bigger than it, especially when their designs are essentially the same.
IIRC the 5 liter limit was imposed due to Ford using the 427 in the GT40s, 67 I believe coincides with their LeMans wins and the FIA banning large displacement motors from competion afterwich (I guess SCCA mirrored those rules).
Old 07-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sparkz28ss
....most people dont know the ways of the DZ302, just keep thinking that Ls1 is God
The LSx motors are superior in every way, thier biggest limitation is the need for a valvetrain that will last 100K+ miles without service. Destroke an LSx and convert it to a non hydraulic valvetrain and the DZ/EZ 302s would wilt like butter in an atomic blast.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
IIRC the 5 liter limit was imposed due to Ford using the 427 in the GT40s, 67 I believe coincides with their LeMans wins and the FIA banning large displacement motors from competion afterwich (I guess SCCA mirrored those rules).
I believe he was asking about drag racing rules such as NHRA.
Clyde
Old 07-07-2007, 05:06 PM

Did you miss this part altogether?

During the 1968 season, "THE OLD RELIABLE" Z/28 ran elapsed times of 11.70's at 116 mph keeping up with many Super Stock 396 Camaros! This was a stock Z/28 intake manifold and carburetor, stock hood, Stahl Headers, 5.38 gears, and nine-inch slicks.
Stock intake, stock carb, basically a stock Z/28 with headers and tall gears.

There's also this on a 67 Z/28 from the same website...

On one of the first outings to the drag strip, Ray took the Z/28 up to 75-80 Dragway in Monrovia, Maryland. In bone stock condition, this Camaro ran in the high 13-second zone at 105 mph. This is when the car had approximately 1800 miles on the odometer! Ray stated that the car needed more gear as he was going through the finish line in 3rd gear. The perfect choice would have been 5.38 rear end gears if this Z/28 was a dedicated race car.
That's high 13's (13.88s at 105mpg) straight off the showroom floor with 4.10 gears and street tires. He later managed 12.38 @ 112mph with open headers and 7-inch slicks. 12 second cars in the late 60's was extremely fast.

The advantage the 302 had was the ability to live above 7000 rpm all day long.

And both these cars were running the small journal MO 302, not the superior DZ 302 that was available in 1969.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:10 PM

That's high 13's (13.88s at 105mpg)
Whohoo!!!!!! Fish (think thats what the carb was called) Carburator FTW! GM needs to haul that yestertech out like yesterday and show the tree huggers a thing or two!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
No, your point was that you think the 302 was not a true high performance engine and you continue to belittle the fact that it was indeed a strong performer. You continue to quote "they were decent fourteen second cars at best" in spite of evidence presented to the contrary. Just admit it, you don't like the 302 and will never consider it to be a real performer. I on the other hand liked the 302, owned and lived with one back in the day, and have had plenty of experience seeing many different engines going head to head back then. I'll take my experience over your supposed "knowledge" any day. I never made any claim as to the horsepower, what I did was quote a respected Ford engine builder (Holman/Moody) from back in the day that said they bought the parts from Chevy, bolted it together and it was close to 500HP. Nuff said!
Clyde
No, you are putting words in my mouth. I never said that the 302 was an underperformer. It is a high revver. I like high revver, so don't pretend to know that you know anything about me. What evidence has been presented to the contrary? Where is it? Nothing concrete? Big surprise. Are you honestly suggesting a stock 302 car could be considered anything but a decent 14 second car? I smell nostalgia fantasies here, especially considering most of the decent 426 Hemi cars ran in the 13s stock. Are you suggesting a 302 could hang with a 426 Hemi?

Quick Reply: Ls3 Vs 302