General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Looking for advice on suspension for 96 z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 07:45 AM

Looking for advice on suspension for 96 z28

I bought the car about 6 months ago planning on making a quarter mile car and that's it, since then I've really fell in love with it and can't believe how well it handles. I have owned fords mainly mustangs for racing most of my life and the Gms I've had were G body's. I just put on SS rims and tires factory spec and I've noticed even though it's a huge improvement from the 16s the car now feels like it needs tightened up if you know what I mean. There is just alot of body flex going on that od like to get rid of, Any suggestions? If really be thankful.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:48 PM

Re: Looking for advice on suspension for 96 z28

I think the place to start is with subframe connectors...they make a big difference. Then switch your lower control arms to tubular parts with rod-end or polyurethane bushings...this will reduce the tendency to wheelhop under hard acceleration. I like Spohn parts but others are available....
Old 09-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Administrator

What works well for the quarter mile does not necessarily produce the best street handling, and visa-versa. Sort of need to set priorities. For example, beefy sway bars front and rear control body roll in the corners, but they can reduce weight transfer on a hard drag strip launch. Best setup for a quarter mile, assuming decent HP, is no front sway bar (or disconnect one end link at the track) and a "drag" style rear bar like the Wolfe or the one from Spohn.

Lowering the chassis helps with cornering, but can produce negative results in the quarter mile. Shock selection will also depend on priorities.

I would say, in general, you can't go wrong with sub-frame connectors, upgraded rear lower control arms, rear LCA relocation brackets, upgraded panhard rod, upgraded torque arm, replacing stock rubber bushings with poly (or rod ends). But even the panhard bar could be replaced with a Watts link for road handling, and the typical replacement torque arm could be replaced with the one from Global West for road coures.

Just need to decide - ultimate quarter mile 60-ft, quickest through the twisties, or some compromise solution to accommodate a little bit of both, but not the "ultimate" in either.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:28 PM

I appreciate the advice. I think I will just deal with the loss of traction at the Drag strip and gain some in corners.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:51 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Sam Strano's springs & Koni Sport shocks are good improvements for road/street handling. A lot of people also upgrade their sway bars, and Sam offers a flavor of those as well. There are also coil over options that might be better still, but also more expensive. I think UMI has a coil over set up, and I've also heard people talk about RideTech. I've heard a Watts link is a fairly dramatic improvement over the stock panhard bar configuration, and perhaps even moreso if the car is lowered. I haven't checked pricing, but I think sway bars and a Watts link might be my next two upgrades, unless you count wheels and tires.

I just took a look at Sam Strano's site and a Watts link doesn't come cheap.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by BTC
Sam Strano's springs & Koni Sport shocks are good improvements for road/street handling. A lot of people also upgrade their sway bars, and Sam offers a flavor of those as well. There are also coil over options that might be better still, but also more expensive. I think UMI has a coil over set up, and I've also heard people talk about RideTech. I've heard a Watts link is a fairly dramatic improvement over the stock panhard bar configuration, and perhaps even moreso if the car is lowered. I haven't checked pricing, but I think sway bars and a Watts link might be my next two upgrades, unless you count wheels and tires.

I just took a look at Sam Strano's site and a Watts link doesn't come cheap.
Thank you you guys are a big help. I spent so many years playing around with fox body fords and refused to drive camaros then I found this one and couldn't turn it down for the price and mileage. Honestly I used to think they couldn't take a corner to save their life so I was amazed to find out that a 96 z is about 10 years ahead of every mustang since 92.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Oval2Bowtie80
Thank you you guys are a big help. I spent so many years playing around with fox body fords and refused to drive camaros then I found this one and couldn't turn it down for the price and mileage. Honestly I used to think they couldn't take a corner to save their life so I was amazed to find out that a 96 z is about 10 years ahead of every mustang since 92.
I totally agree with you on this. I had always liked Mustangs (still do) but then I followed a Grassroots Motorsports Fox body autocross prep article and found that the factory multi-link suspension on the mustang was lame. I noticed that all the mustangs that were fast in our local NASA events were running the Griggs racing torque arm conversion kit that ,for a significant amount of money, essentially turned them into Camaros!
Old 10-03-2018, 10:27 AM

#troll
Camaro > Mustang

I appreciate all cars now, where that wouldn't have been the case in my younger years. My main complaint about Mustangs in the 4th gen era was overwhelming lack of horsepower in comparison between the cars. Aesthetically, I liked the exterior of both cars, but preferred the cockpit feel of the fbody versus the cramped sedan feel of the Mustang.

Today I think: Power/Performance > All
Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 PM

Konis/springs/sways/ls1 front brakes = completely different car.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS
#troll
Camaro > Mustang

I appreciate all cars now, where that wouldn't have been the case in my younger years. My main complaint about Mustangs in the 4th gen era was overwhelming lack of horsepower in comparison between the cars. Aesthetically, I liked the exterior of both cars, but preferred the cockpit feel of the fbody versus the cramped sedan feel of the Mustang.

Today I think: Power/Performance > All
I agree, i lost interest in mustangs as soon as they brought out the 4.6. I bought a 96 cobra back in 2004 I think and immediately took it out to find someone to race, well the first car was a 2001 prelude that I thought I would destroy on the open road. Let's just say I sold the car a week later. I beat him in a rolling start but not by much.