General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

L98 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 AM

L98 Engine

hello guys,

my LT1 engine is almost dead now.. and i have been thinking of replacing it with something else..

a friend of mine has a 91 Corvette with a L98 Engine which he wants to sell.. my question is... will the 4L60E Transmission work with the L98 Engine as i will need to takeout the PCM... please help..

thanks
Old 05-25-2013, 03:20 AM

Re: L98 Engine

U wanna put a tpi motor in place of the lt1?

Anything can be done, but its def a step backwards with power and more work than its worth to go backwards.

Whats wrong with ur engine?

Co-Owner/Admin @ LTXtech.com
Old 05-25-2013, 03:24 AM

it is fixable now.. but what is making me want to replace it is that i live in Saudi Arabia... and i can not find parts for the LT1 around here.. i can only find for old chevy 350 and LS engines..

when i keep on ordering parts from the US.. the shipping price is making the price double up.. thats the main reason why i want to change..
Old 05-25-2013, 03:47 AM

The lt1 is a sbc with exception of some differences...heads...intake.... Distrib...cam...1pc rear main seal.

What is wrong with it that has made it "fixable."

We have a member on our site...he may be here also with the screen name "absi"...he has a 9 second lt1 camaro (iirc) in Saudi... There must be parts available.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:05 AM

the thing now is that, it overheats quickly and has no power... it does seem as a compression issue on one of the cylinders.. at which if i wanted to fix it i can..

but to me now its almost dead and i really dont want to keep on working on it..

two years ago, the government here banned any used parts to enter the country which made such engines obsolete as noone does support them with spare parts and used parts can not come in any more..

people here now dont buy such engines any more.. they all go for the older ones or mainly install LS engines
Old 05-25-2013, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by aknight_sa
the thing now is that, it overheats quickly and has no power... it does seem as a compression issue on one of the cylinders.. at which if i wanted to fix it i can..

but to me now its almost dead and i really dont want to keep on working on it..

two years ago, the government here banned any used parts to enter the country which made such engines obsolete as noone does support them with spare parts and used parts can not come in any more..

people here now dont buy such engines any more.. they all go for the older ones or mainly install LS engines
Well if u go thru the hassle of putting in an older and weaker engine in wont u run into the same issue if something happens to that one?

I guess it all comes down to what the car means to u at this point. u have the full engine now... So it will be the matter of (worst case) a REBUILD to as simlle as HEAD GASKETS.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 AM
Administrator

If you installed an L98 engine, you would need to run it with the matching L98 ECM and harness. The L98 ECM would not operate the 4L60E trans. You would have to convert to a 4L60 or 700R4 (basically the same trans). The 3rd Gen wiring harness is not going to interface with the 4th Gen body connectors without a lot of rewiring.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by aknight_sa
Seems a little silly to ban used parts(as in say an engine pull from a wrecked car). Was it done a safety concern for the general public? If so, I suppose that does make some sense.