General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Just got my 85' camaro, now i got questions! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 10:37 PM

hello, im new to the site but have always been a camaro fan. Specifically the third generation RS. I purchased a 1985 camaro coupe yesterday and am very pleased with the car. Im waiting on the dealership to get me the car. It isnt a iroc or rs so it doesnt have the front bumper i wanted. Can i easily switch this with another parts camaro for example? Also when i bought my car the previous dealership threw out everything that was in the car so the owners manual is gone. Does anybody know how many litres is in the gas tank.The camaro model is a coupe 2.8 6cyl I havnt been able to find the spare though. Is it under the hump behind the rear seats? If anybody from the Toronto, Ontario area knows of any good f body shops that they would recommend. Sorry about all the questions people, i've just got tons of questions at the moment. I have a feeling im gonna be owning a lot more camaro's in my future.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:59 AM

Re: Just got my 85' camaro, now i got questions! Please help!

The front fascia is able to be swapped but you need to get the ground effects that go with the bumper, otherwise your car will look stupid. The tank should be 15 or 16 gallons. The spare tire is kept in the rear hatch area, behind the passenger trim.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by grod
wait wait... let me guess... you're going to ask how to fit that thing in your garage, right??!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:11 AM

ok but seriously..

you can change just the front fascia, but it wont match the rest of the car. youll need the front nose cover, the lower valence (the front cover is two pieces, the nose cover, and the lower "lip" or "valence" or whatever), both side skirts (two pieces per side; one piece attaches to the car, the other attaches to the door; youll have to drill holes in your door for that; the parts that attach to the body use self tapping screws) then you need the rear skirts that go behind the wheels, youll need to drill holes in your quarter panel for those, too (those nuts are BITCHES to R&R). finally, youll need the rear bumper cover to match the rest of the ground effects.

so, it can be done, but its a good deal of work.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:11 AM

That's cool man. My first camaro was an 89 IROC, I have had two of them and now I have a 2000 SS and I'm super stoked! As for your car, I would leave it as is and just save up some cash and buy an IROC. You'll feel amazing after driving one for the first time.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:14 AM

IMO, you should just try to find a nose from an early '80's Berlinetta, or whichever models came with the three holes in the front.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:21 PM

yea i have the original bumper with the 3 vents. I think im just going to keep the front end since the vents channel into the engine. Il probably just buy ground effects for it. Another thing i noticed when driving last night was it seemed the engine was bogged out. I was in 3rd driving at about 3500rpm and i accelerated on the gas pedal and the rpm wasnt rising, i floored the pedal and the rpm wasnt rising at all. I finally had to shift into fourth to continue accelarating. Could this be the fuel injectors or something? Any help would be great. Also this is my first manual car, so im not 100% on where in the rpm you should shift. Usually im shifting between 3500 and 4000 rpm. About 2500 ahead of the redline. Is this acceptable or will i be looking at getting a new tranny or clutch soon?

Thanks for all the help! I've only been driving the camaro for 2 days and im in absolute love with it. Once this car has retired i am definatly gonna buy another third gen. camaro but definatly a RS or Iroc instead of the base coupe im dirving now!

Cheers,
G Rod
Old 08-31-2006, 01:34 PM

it's an '85 so it's carbureted, right?

i would just lose the factory carb and get an edelbrock. they're simple, reliable, and not very expensive. even if you don't get a new carb, it would be a good idea to have yours rebuilt. an edelbrock #1406 would work well for you.

Last edited by mmmchickenboy; 08-31-2006 at 01:38 PM.