General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What is the main reason people install aftermarket keyless entries?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:07 AM

Wink What is the main reason people install aftermarket keyless entries?

Hello, can someone please tell me the purpose behind installing an aftermarket key less entry system when the car is already equipped with it from factory? my car has power everything but someone attempted to install one of these aftermarket systems and messed up roughly 95% of my power accessories. What would the pros and cons be if i removed this system and hooked everything back up as it was from factory? i dont have the factory FOB but couldnt i purchase one and have it programmed? I am just trying to figure out if it would benefit me more to just go ahead and remove the system and use it the way it was meant to be used? any suggestions, comments or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Everyone!...
Old 09-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Re: What is the main reason people install aftermarket keyless entries?

I don't think all cars received the keyless entry. I believe it was optional (RPO "AU0"), although it came packaged with all the popular option packages.

Are you sure what they patched in was simply a keyless entry, or was it possibly a remote start system?

Did you check your build parts tag for the RPO code? Do you have this part:

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/keyless_entry.jpg
Old 09-14-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I don't think all cars received the keyless entry. I believe it was optional (RPO "AU0"), although it came packaged with all the popular option packages.

Are you sure what they patched in was simply a keyless entry, or was it possibly a remote start system?

Did you check your build parts tag for the RPO code? Do you have this part:

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/keyless_entry.jpg
Thanks Injuneer, i do have the part you referenced above, i just pulled my panel and there it is still hooked up. As far as my "Parts Tag and RPO Code", where would i fing this tag?

***Found the RPO Code*** It is 1FP87
-----------------------------------------------
AC3 AK5 IPB T96 F41 GU5 STE 7GM R7A R7R 6GM
AU3 12I 17P AU0 K34 BC/CC AR9 J41 VB3 71Q A31
K68 U1T 71U A90 L32 U73 8TC B84 MX0 U82 9TC
------------------------------------------------
C49 M30 VK3 C60 NAS V73 DG7 NP5 1AY DL5 FE9
------------------------------------------------
N96 QMT 1SC 12B WA-U9913
--------------------------------------------------------

I have looked up some of these codes but cant find a lot of them so im hoping some of you may know.

Thanks!

Last edited by Stephen68; 09-14-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Its starting to make sense now....the code L32 shows that my car was actually a V6 from factory...now its making sense why some of my power options as well as my 02 sensors wont plugin...Any thoughts as the best way to tackle something like this guys?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 PM

So, you don't actually have a Z28. It is a conversion. There is no telling what someone did to it or what they hacked up to accomplish the swap. It's going to be up to you to discover all that has been done and compare that to factory wiring specs. You might have seen some links in other threads to free downloads of the 94 Factory Service Manual.

As far as the keyless entry, there are programming instructions on my website for the factory fobs. The factory range is fairly limited, so I would bet that is a prime motivator for adding an aftermarket system.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Administrator

And there is a complete list of the 94 RPO codes in the first section of Volume 1 of the 94 shop manual.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
So, you don't actually have a Z28. It is a conversion. There is no telling what someone did to it or what they hacked up to accomplish the swap. It's going to be up to you to discover all that has been done and compare that to factory wiring specs. You might have seen some links in other threads to free downloads of the 94 Factory Service Manual.

As far as the keyless entry, there are programming instructions on my website for the factory fobs. The factory range is fairly limited, so I would bet that is a prime motivator for adding an aftermarket system.
Originally Posted by Injuneer
And there is a complete list of the 94 RPO codes in the first section of Volume 1 of the 94 shop manual.

Many thanks to both you guys, the service manual has really opened my eyes as the best way to tackle this mess....i will get it straightened out and have a wicked Z once i get the little issues fixed. I am really grateful for this place and people like you that help people like me...THANKS...