General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Help me!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:39 AM

Help me!

Normally im a smart girl. Obviously not today. I jumped my car (96 ss) directly from the battery. It's messed with my anti theft and locked me out of the stereo system. I cannot set my clock, the radio will turn on via the dial but no sound comes out. I cannot switch between am/fm/cd, it will not even attempt to accept a cd or anything. I know there is some type of key sequence for this but I cannot find it. There is nothing in my owners manual, resetting the battery didnt help and neither did removing the radio fuse. Basically, my car thinks i stole it. Awesome. I cannot find the correct phrase to google that brings up anything useful either. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 AM

Re: Help me!

Oh, and it doesn't say LOC or anything, it just shows three dashes where the time should be and won't let me do anything?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Administrator

According the the 1996 Owner's Manual (pages 3-17 to 3-19) if you see three dashes (---) the security system is not set, and you have to start from step 4 of the security programming procedure. If you do not have a manual, you can read and download one here:

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/pdf/1996camaro.pdf
Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 AM

Thanks. I followed all those instructions and still nothing. I don't know what happened to it. I ended up leaving the battery unhooked for half an hour and it was fine after that. No clue what was going on with it. Thanks for trying to help though, appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Administrator

So the problem is solved?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Everything in the car, PCM, BCM, radio, has a microprocessor like a PC and you know how easy it is to glitch one of those ;-). I suspect that's what happened when the battery surged while jumping. You had to "reboot".

Search this Thread