General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Weird Shifting Problem/Sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:49 PM

Weird Shifting Problem/Sluggish

Ok so my car had no problems before this except for the volt meter on my dash reading at 18 sometimes flailing around crazy, so i thought it was the alternator and bought a remanufactured 140 amp from autozone, drove around all night after that and the car drove fine, the battery meter read at around a normal 14 and i was pushing the car kind of hard as i usually do. So later that night right as i was about to go home my car gets really sluggish, lights dim, misfire, sputtering and it stalls at taco bell. i try to start it but nothing, just a clicking, eventually started and made it home and it stalled again. Next morning went and replaced the alternator with another. This time it does the same thing, runs fine for a while but then it wouldnt shift and it was sluggish, and when i put it into drive, it doesnt move unless i give it gas, it just stays there and it takes quite a bit of throttle to get it moving. I'm sorry for the loong story but i am trying to be as accurate and descriptive as possible. Could it be a trans problem and just a coincidence that it happened as i got a new alternator, or could the alternators be causing this and should i just go back to my old one? Please if you stuck around long enough to read this whole thing and know what it could be help me out! Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 AM

Re: Weird Shifting Problem/Sluggish

when you say sluggish do you mean that when youre pushin the pedal down you dont feel like its putting out the power it should? and do you have any change in idle, whether it be the RPMs or did it get rough?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Re: Weird Shifting Problem/Sluggish

Sounds like your battery is dying. Have you had it tested?