General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Help ABS INOPT ASR OFF

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:15 PM

Help ABS INOPT ASR OFF

What the hell did the previous owner do to my car. Everey time I start it these lights remain on and I cant turn ASR button on. I think he has it so the ASR is always off but what about the ABS light> I just want to put it back to stock and be able to override the ASR with the button. I already checked behind the ASR button for the SLP override but nothing back there.
Please help
Old 05-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Exposed Member

I'm not sure about the ASR, but I know that the ABS will get flaky if the fluid is old and dirty.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:32 PM

nope something was def done so he could light em up all the time, Drag radials in the rear tell it all, just want to put it back to normal
Old 05-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Administrator

You may have a problem with the ABS system, that renders the TCS inoperative, hence both lights on. You need to pull the codes out of the EBTCM module that operates those systems. Used to require a high-end scanner like the Tech-2 the dealers use, buy I believe Actron now makes a moderate cost scanner for the ABS/TCS modules. Could be as simple as a faulty wheel sensor, loose wire to the sensor, dirty sensor, etc.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:09 AM

Also Is the light on the ASR switch supposed to be on cause when I push the switch it does nothing. I think something was tampered with somewhere. I also looked in the fuse panel in the engine bay and saw the 20A TCS BAT fuse missing. So I put that in hoping it would solve the problem but it did nothing.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 AM

Will an autozone or pep. Boys let you use one of those scanners or scan it for you for free or do I have to buy one. If the second do you know which actron is the one I need and where I can get it. These two lights are driving me mad. And u don't think the previous owner did something somewhere to turn the asr off? Thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Administrator

I have no way of knowing what the previous owner did. I'm just pointing out that if you have a problem with the ABS system, is may turn the TCS off = both lights on. Could it be as simple as the CHMSL (3rd brake light) being burned out? Did the previous owner possibly substitute an LED light for the CHMSL?

I doubt that part shops are going to have a high end ABS scanner, but they might. A Tech-2 is a couple thouands dollars. I suspect Snap-On may have something similar. Most likely source is a GM dealer or a shop that specializes in brake repairs.

5-seconds to do a Google search yielded the link to the Actron:

http://www.etoolcart.com/actron-abs-...an-cp9449.aspx

Note that it does not mention TCS, so you would have to verify that it will work on the GM EBTCM in your car.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:54 PM

if you remove all the ABS relays you get the ABS inopt light theres 2 or 3 relays in the engine compartment fusebox check if they are there.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Your right and the only one that was missing was the one called tcs bat its a 20 amp fuse. After I treplaced it I pulled the neg cable on the bat to try to reset tjhe system. When I started the car both lights were still on . Tonight took the car out for a long ride and brought it up to highway spees and the both lights turned off. Do u think it was the fuse and just needed some miles on it to reset it self or do u think its justhiding out. I hope its gone for good
Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 AM

mine has been like that since i got it i dont drive crazy enough to worry bout it though
Old 05-28-2009, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by SSCAMARO1659
Your right and the only one that was missing was the one called tcs bat its a 20 amp fuse. After I treplaced it I pulled the neg cable on the bat to try to reset tjhe system. When I started the car both lights were still on . Tonight took the car out for a long ride and brought it up to highway spees and the both lights turned off. Do u think it was the fuse and just needed some miles on it to reset it self or do u think its justhiding out. I hope its gone for good
Hard to say. I have seen intermittent abs issues where the abs will function fine and then suddenly the system will go inactive and the light will illuminate on the dash. After a little more driving, the light will once again go off. I would have to assume that by pulling the battery cables, that the lights would have reset then. The only sure way of knowing would be to have the car scanned for codes. As Injuneer noted, Actron makes a nice handheld scanner. I recently purchased a brand similar to Actron's but with a few more capabilities. You figure a couple uses out of the scanner will pay for itself considering what some shops charge for a diagnostic fee to pull the codes for you.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 PM

I've been having the same problem. What year is your car? If your car is a 98 like mine, the ABS Control Modules were made by Bosch but only in 1998 cars with V8 and Traction Control. There have been a lot of reports of those modules going out in Camaros and Vettes alike. In 1999 a different company took over the production. I just bought a used unit from a salvage yard in hopes that it fixes it. Here's a list of the codes that got pulled off of my car:

C1215 ABS Inlet Valve Coil RF Circuit Open
C1216 ABS Inlet Valve Coil RF Circuit Short To Battery
C1217 ABS Inlet Valve Coil RF Circuit Short To Ground
C1244 ABS Outlet Valve Coil LR Circuit Short To Battery
C1246 ABS Outlet Valve Coil RR Circuit Failure

This problem is cause by the ABS unit going bad, or a Speed Sensor. And if anyone knows if there's anything special you have to do to swap out those parts I'd love to know. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem. Thanks and good luck!

P.S. FYI, the hydraulic and electrical parts of that ABS brain are around $1200 each...that's right...EACH!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:52 PM

I had an asr off/abs inop lights that would come and and go all the time. I discovered the problem to be some of the wires that run to the tail lights had rubbed through and were making intermittent contact with the body. after i repaired the wires I havent seen those lights since, and that was 5 years ago
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM

There have been a handful of times when I have been driving my 95 Z in and ran through some big water puddles on the streets that my ABS INOP and ASR Off lights both come on, but once everything gets dried out they go off again. Probably something going on with one of the wheel sensors in my case but since I try not to drive it in those kind of conditions I am not too worried about it.