General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Fixing Window Motors Without Replacment!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:35 PM

Re: Fixing Window Motors Without Replacment!

Originally Posted by Deckstripes
Is somebody here actually concerned that an adult might be killed by a power window?!?! I don't care how drunk they are, if they can't outsmart or overpower a piece of glass........well, we didn't need them polluting the gene pool anyway.

I just went to my 97 Z and verified my suspicion- When window motors overheat due to the "protection", they're dead. No up, no down. If you choke yourself, thus causing the motor to trip, then you can't roll it down either. So there is no way that copper strip is "choke protection", it could actually cause the window to trap you. I'd say this mod is actually a safety improvement. Now the risk of burning the car down with an electrical fire, that's different

I'd like to add that F bodies are not framed windows, and thus offer significantly less risk of choking because the door handle can also save you.

Just trying to minimize the effect of the safety police. The whole world is designed for the brain power of a freakin 4 year old. Modify those motors with a clear conscience. Later
I'm not worried about adults. Like you point out, They should be smart enough to deal with it. I'm worried about kids, and if you dont think that is of concern you can call any parent of any child that has died in a power car window. I'm sure they will tell you it is no big deal. It's not a big deal until it is your 2-year old laying dead in a car. $50 is not a ton of money.

If someone has kids, this mod is not for them.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:35 PM

If someone has kids, they should be enough of a parent to keep their kids from sticking their head out of the window or playing on the door. Good parenting goes a lot further than a power window motor resistance detector.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by brain
If someone has kids, they should be enough of a parent to keep their kids from sticking their head out of the window or playing on the door. Good parenting goes a lot further than a power window motor resistance detector.
You obviously don't have kids. It only takes one oversight at the wrong time. Believe me, it is possible to get distracted.

Last edited by TraceZ; 04-27-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:35 PM

Is there a possibilty that the motor might heat up too much and maybe cause a fire? I was thinking about what if someone had their knee on the switch when the window was already all the way up and not realizing it. Would another fuse trip? I sure would hate to be driving down the road to have your door catch on fire!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:06 PM

The child safety police have totally missed my point. When your so-called "choke protection" activates, it DISABLES the window while the child is trapped and choking. Therefore there is no chance of getting the window down to stop the choking. The switch goes dead in both directions! Mine takes upward of a minute to reset! How is that choke protection? I'd rather have a smoking wire and the opportunity to get free.

Perhaps that strip is not choke protection, but wiring harness and switch protection.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:29 PM

you have a good point.
I'm doing this on my crappy driver's side motor tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ubiquitus
you have a good point.
I'm doing this on my crappy driver's side motor tomorrow.
Hello! Never thought I'd see someone from Greeneville on here. If you haven't already, check out HIGH PERFORMANCE TOYS

Tom
Old 04-30-2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Red 97T/A A4
Hello! Never thought I'd see someone from Greeneville on here. If you haven't already, check out HIGH PERFORMANCE TOYS

Tom
sweet! will do.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Deckstripes
The child safety police have totally missed my point. When your so-called "choke protection" activates, it DISABLES the window while the child is trapped and choking. Therefore there is no chance of getting the window down to stop the choking. The switch goes dead in both directions! Mine takes upward of a minute to reset! How is that choke protection? I'd rather have a smoking wire and the opportunity to get free.

Perhaps that strip is not choke protection, but wiring harness and switch protection.

You did your test on a broken motor. I went out and tested my brand new motors and they do stop when force is applied, and they will go down afterwards.

Check out this thread HERE and read LOADING's comments on how his bypassed motor works.

Originally Posted by loading
These motors are very strong units. We had my friend push with all his force down on it, and while the motor sounded a little strained, he couldn't hold it back. There's such a strong mechanical advantage, that the weight of the window/tracks shouldn't really matter to terribly much.

These will definatly strangle a child if you remove the heat strip.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:54 PM

Another success story,.....pulled the heat strip out as directed, soldered the terminal up, put her all back together and "ta_da", it works great now. Saved me $50. Cool beans. Thanks to whoever posted this "fix" up. One note that I wasnt clear on was that the armature doesnt come out very easy as the magnets in the motor housing are pretty strong and it almost seems like something is holding it in the casing. However, theres nothing but the magnetic field holding that in. From the original post I thought it would basically fall apart. Other than that, GREAT FIX, 2 thumbs up on this cheap, relatively easy job.

Last edited by blown94; 05-08-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:21 PM

I also did this fix on my stubborn drivers side door. Works great!!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:34 PM

OLD bump.. this should be stickied?? lol my passenger window started going slow (just sold the replacement i thought i didnt need)and my drivers (new) stops at the top when it hits the rubber (has been adjsuted has to go there so it doesnt leak..)
Old 11-10-2006, 10:23 PM

I vote to sticky this.(not that my vote counts) but I think it should
Old 11-10-2006, 10:56 PM

I hate stickies.

I did the bypass on one motor and while it did seem to breath a little more life into the motor, it's not really any faster. It's also more trouble than just replacing the motor, IMO.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:23 PM

When everyone is saying "Advance Motor" which part number/manufacturer are you speaking of?

I see these at my local Advance:

-----------------------------------
ACI Window Lift Motor
New; Front Left Or Right; Includes Gear
Warranty: Lifetime Replacement Warranty
Buy online,
pickup today!
Ships in 1 day
$54.94

Part No.
82145 Cardone Window Lift Motor: New Cardone Select
Window Lift Motor: New; Front; 2 Per Car
Warranty: Lifetime Limited Warranty

Part No.
42150 Cardone Window Lift Motor: Remanufactured
Window Lift Motor: Remanufactured; Front; 2 Per Car

Ships in 1 day
$42.99

$4.99 core

Part No.
WL42014 Siemens Window Lift Motor
Power Window Motor: New; Front; 2 Per Car

Ships in 1 day
$61.99

Part No.
WL82460 Standard Motor Products Power Window Motor
Power Window Motor: Left Front
Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty

Ships in 1 day
$85.99

Part No.
WL82460 Standard Motor Products Power Window Motor
Power Window Motor: Right Front
Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty

Ships in 1 day
$85.99

Last edited by 3800FBL; 11-12-2006 at 11:16 PM.