General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Fixing Window Motors Without Replacment!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Fixing Window Motors Without Replacment!

Lots of good info in here. In fact, I have this thread saved at home But, it probably is about time I move it to the general forum where all the other window threads are
Old 08-29-2004, 08:55 PM

Just seen this thread Someone should make this a sticky
Old 08-29-2004, 09:10 PM

Ok guy's I've read this and plan on doing it soon, possibly tomorrow if it doesn't rain. I only have one question. What size screws do you use to replace the rivets or would it be better to use rivets? Thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 07:54 PM
eej

Man don't know the size of the screws.....how about 'small'. Mine had already been replaced so it already had screws.

Make sure you use some sort of locknut or lock washers. The replacement nuts had that built in star lock washer thingie.

SHOEBOX:

Roll up times after the mod AND 1 year later are as follows.

with car turned off: 9 seconds.

with car running: 7 seconds.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by eej
SHOEBOX:

Roll up times after the mod AND 1 year later are as follows.

with car turned off: 9 seconds.

with car running: 7 seconds.
Thanks. I was just curious as to what people are saying is slow. I think my windows are as fast or faster than that without any modification.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:55 AM

has anyone ever tryed to replace the motor with a stronger onme. My dads 95 riviera had the option for the fast roll down, and it went faster than any window i've ever seen. Plus its a huge window like f-body's, not sure if it would fit, maybe its bigger.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 PM

Well, looks like I've got a project that might solve my problem. I had to open my passenger door to roll the window all the way up. Once it got within that tiny last bit it would just stop. Sweet.

Anyone have any good ideas to see if it ISNT also the switches? I'm guessing a volt meter across the motor while pushing the switch down would work, but I'd rather check the resistance of the switches...
Old 09-01-2004, 11:51 PM

My wife calls me the other day and tells me the back window on the Tahoe won't roll back up. After getting the kids out of school and gets back in the car, the window rolled up but very slowly. I ask this. Seeing that the Tahoe is a GM product also, should I not be able to do this to this window motor too with similar results? Currently not experiencing problems with my Camaro in this dept.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:57 PM

i have to make another testimonial for this , i didnt keep track of how long it took but after it was all said and done my window works like new and this thread saved me $50.00
Old 04-26-2005, 03:13 PM

I am going to try this soon to see if it works. Its atleast worth the try if im going to replace the motors anyway.

Brandon
Old 04-27-2005, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by TABAHR
What if your passenger is drunk and gets their head stuck in it?
I'm more concerned with vomit then a drunk who wants to go gallows-style with my window
Old 04-27-2005, 12:07 PM

is that little motor really that strong?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by TA-Body
I doubt it, but it could probably give you a good bruise
Old 04-27-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by TA-Body
Yes. Many times children have been choked to death in power car windows. Even when equiped with the proper safety stop, they are dangerous. What happens is a chaild will go to look out the open window and put a knee on the arm rest. Their knee presses the window switch and the window closes on their neck strangling them.

This is why most cars now have window switches that require you to lift up on them to put the window up. That way a child's knee cannot close the window. Pressing down on the switch can only put the window down.

Remember, the window motor does not need to create the force to smash or cut, just enough force to prevent someone from breathing. It is easier than you might think.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:31 PM

Is somebody here actually concerned that an adult might be killed by a power window?!?! I don't care how drunk they are, if they can't outsmart or overpower a piece of glass........well, we didn't need them polluting the gene pool anyway.

I just went to my 97 Z and verified my suspicion- When window motors overheat due to the "protection", they're dead. No up, no down. If you choke yourself, thus causing the motor to trip, then you can't roll it down either. So there is no way that copper strip is "choke protection", it could actually cause the window to trap you. I'd say this mod is actually a safety improvement. Now the risk of burning the car down with an electrical fire, that's different

I'd like to add that F bodies are not framed windows, and thus offer significantly less risk of choking because the door handle can also save you.

Just trying to minimize the effect of the safety police. The whole world is designed for the brain power of a freakin 4 year old. Modify those motors with a clear conscience. Later

Quick Reply: Fixing Window Motors Without Replacment!