General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Replacing Lower Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 12:58 AM

Replacing Lower Control Arm

So this morning I started the oh so fun process of taking apart the front passenger side suspension on my '94 Camaro. I got the pins out, suspension unbolted, sway bar end link disconnected, and the nuts on the two bolts where it connects near the subframe. Sadly I couldn't unbolt the ball joint because it just started spinning the bolt, so I plan on cutting that off with an angle grinder on Monday. The real problem is getting the control arm unbolted and removed from the car. The bolt I'm having trouble with is most easily accessible from the engine bay with ratchet extenders, but as any intelligent person could guess, that bolt isn't going anywhere. the other bolt is blocked from being slid out by the drive shaft and I think I can unbolt that side of the shaft and tilt it up a bit and remove the bolt. So does anyone have a clue on how I could remove this other bolt? Also, it's bent.

Here's two pictures:
https://i.imgur.com/XXeiJEH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/avwASKI.jpg

Was just informed that this bolt slides out, and I will carefully hit it very hard with a hammer until it decides to come out...

Last edited by ThePedro8161; 09-10-2017 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Gotten Help from others
Old 09-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Re: Replacing Lower Control Arm

Sounds like you are asking about the vertical bolt (#44 in diagram) for the rear bushing. Did you get the nut off the bolt? If so, the bolt can be left in place. Don't damage it. It has a cam under the head that facilitates alignment.

Not sure what other bolt you are asking about. The horizontal bolt (#32) for the front bushing is nowhere near the vehicle's driveshaft. It may possibly be blocked by the steering rack. If so move the steering wheel to move the tie rod bellows out of the way.

Courtesy of Shoebox:

Old 09-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Sounds like you are asking about the vertical bolt (#44 in diagram) for the rear bushing. Did you get the nut off the bolt? If so, the bolt can be left in place. Don't damage it. It has a cam under the head that facilitates alignment.

Not sure what other bolt you are asking about. The horizontal bolt (#32) for the front bushing is nowhere near the vehicle's driveshaft. It may possibly be blocked by the steering rack. If so move the steering wheel to move the tie rod bellows out of the way.

Courtesy of Shoebox:

my bad, I wrote this late at night. Yeah, the steering rack is in the way, and I have disconnected the outer tie rod from the wheel and I still couldn't remove the bolt, so I'll probably unholy the steering rack to slip it out. Secondly I need to remove #44 because I need to remove the control arm in order to replace it, and I've been informed it should just come out, so I'm going to try removing it with a hammer.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Administrator

I know you're trying to remove the lower A-arm. Have you unbolted the spring/shock assembly from the A-arm? You need to. If you can't separate the lower ball joint, separate the upper.

Remove nut from rear, vertical bolt. Remove the nut from the front horizontal bolt. Remove the front horizontal bolt. I have done this and did not have to do anything to the rack beside turn the steering wheel to full lock. I did have the lower ball joint separated.

With the front bolt out, the entire A-arm drops straight down, sliding right off the vertical bolt.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:42 PM

Yeah, turning the steering wheel helped, I'm dumb XD I got that bolt out, and yes I have unbolted the shock and separated the upper ball joint. It's just that bent bolt keeping me from removing it now, and then I have to cut off the lower ball joint.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Administrator

I pulled up a photo of my front end. I see the issue with the vertical bolt. But I can't remember a problem with the bolt. But maybe the fact I rebuilt it with polyurethane bushings/QA1 shocks/Eibach springs when the car was only a few years old and totally rust free made it all that much easier. Now the A-arms have rusted from having used a torch to melt the stock rubber bushings out. I need to repaint them.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/mem...s1-coils-6225/
Old 09-14-2017, 01:59 PM

Been spending a lot of time under my car lately XD but from what I see, my sway bar is bent and so is my K member, so I'm replacing both and I might as well buy a new control arm for the other side.