General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Did the window motor thermal bypass...OMG do they work better.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:50 PM

Re: Did the window motor thermal bypass...OMG do they work better.

Wonderful write-up; please fix your picture links.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ucnu112
Wonderful write-up; please fix your picture links.
I don't think they're "his" pictures... it is a copy and paste from an old post.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I don't think they're "his" pictures... it is a copy and paste from an old post.
Aah, that's right. I skimmed over the first paragraph. ... then I realized that I was subscribed to the old thread too.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145075

Here's the pictures:

Old 05-08-2006, 04:21 AM

I just did this mod to my old original drivers side window motor which was having all of the mentioned problems....window motor would shut down while rolling up the window and then work again after a time...very slow...I had to help it close etc. This mod suddenly restored my power window to like new performance. BUT!!!!

The author mentioned that the AUTO down feature still works like its supposed to....NOT!!!

The auto down feature still works......but it used that thermal breaker system to sense when to stop trying to roll down the window. With this mod done..the window motor will NOT stop trying to go down until either A...it trips the breaker under the dash...or B...It burns out the motor. I think I am going to try to find a way to defeat the Auto down feature because I dont want someone else to get in my car and hit the down button on the window and then inadvertently burn out the motor or damage parts in the door or burn up the circuit breaker. This mod DID restore my power window to like new performance.....but it doesnt come without risks.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:35 AM

Relay mod.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:38 AM

This issue crossed my mind as well, I have yet to have any problems.
Im only speculating here, but it seems to me that the breaker will be fine doing its job cause thats what its for. It would be cake to replace the breaker and disconnect the auto down function if need be.

With respect to the relay mod, I would think the issue would be even worse cause the motor power is tied more straight to the battery rather than to the onboard window circuit, that is even if it is an issue.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on this.

Last edited by wrd1972; 05-08-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:50 AM

I am not tied "direct" to the battery. I have an inline fuse in the run from the battery. Though I never really seriously considered the thermal bypass method -it makes sense regarding the express down. I can hear the slight ticking of the relays when I engage the window - and when it reaches the bottom of the cycle it takes a second or two before that relay releases. So it does seem that the thermal circuit has it's purpose (beyond preventing entrapment, and being annoying). I don't know if I would feel comfortable with the breaker protecting the motor on every cycle. It's designed as a failsafe - not an everyday switching mechanism. I could be way off base - its just IMHO.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by scottso
I am not tied "direct" to the battery. I have an inline fuse in the run from the battery. Though I never really seriously considered the thermal bypass method -it makes sense regarding the express down. I can hear the slight ticking of the relays when I engage the window - and when it reaches the bottom of the cycle it takes a second or two before that relay releases. So it does seem that the thermal circuit has it's purpose (beyond preventing entrapment, and being annoying). I don't know if I would feel comfortable with the breaker protecting the motor on every cycle. It's designed as a failsafe - not an everyday switching mechanism. I could be way off base - its just IMHO.
Where does the source 12V going to the relay come from? If you have it hooked up like I think you do the existing window power wire is now only a trigger and is completely disconnected from the motor. The motor thermal circuit can not provide a feed back for the auto down with the relay.
Am I still off base here?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 AM

I ran a new line through the firewall and to the battery - which is fused. Check out the link below and Kudos to djw for drawing the schematic. The window and relay power are now supplied by the new run.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...t=window+relay
Old 05-08-2006, 09:26 AM

sooo...

the inside of my window motor looked nothing like those pics

oh well
Old 05-09-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by teke184
sooo...

the inside of my window motor looked nothing like those pics

oh well
What was different about it? I pulled mine apart (A replacement motor from Murray's) and there was some sort of electrical component where the copper strip was supposed to be. I don't know exactly what it was but it was soldered to the tabs where it looks like the copper strip is supposed to sit.
I just desoldered it and soldered in a piece of 12 GA wire in its place. It works great but it was a brand new motor when i did it (about a week ago) so i dont know if it will hold up yet or slow down after a few months like the other motors i've used.

-Greg
Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 PM

wow- not to raise a dead thread -

but was having symptoms of my motor dying.. finally today she quit- followed the directions in this thread and motor works better than ever- and on side note soon as window hits rubber bumper at bottom of door the auto-down shuts off. guess im lucky ??
Old 06-13-2006, 06:06 PM

Mine are still working strong.
No problems here.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:35 PM

What would be "dangerous" about this mod, as others have suggested? Won't the motor get really hot?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
What would be "dangerous" about this mod, as others have suggested? Won't the motor get really hot?
I may be totaly wrong here, but I believe part of the "danger" is that if someone (a small child say) were to get his finger caught in the window, it would keep going up with full force and potentialy do some damage (the the finger and the motor, dumbass kids...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did the window motor thermal bypass...OMG do they work better.