CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/)
-   -   Dashboard stubborn to come off...help. (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/dashboard-stubborn-come-off-help-394868/)

FNDRB58 09-04-2005 07:26 PM

Dashboard stubborn to come off...help.

I'm trying to get off the part of the dashboard that surrounds the gauges. Right now I have all of the visible bolts off in order to remove this piece except one I believe. It gets hung up in the middle top rear of the piece under the middle of the windshield. Anyone where this bolt is or how to get to it or if it is even a bolt at all?

Thanks

MRBoss429x 09-04-2005 09:57 PM

Re: Dashboard stubborn to come off...help.

Did you take of your dash mat? There are several screws holding the gauge cluster in located on top below the large dashmat peice.

gt_biker13 09-04-2005 10:19 PM

I think there is 2 under the flat dash pice, kind of hard to see.

MarcR94v6 09-04-2005 11:20 PM

I want to change the bulbs in my speedo and put this sticker on it from Brent Franker, but when I tried, it was a real B***h. You have to disarm the airbag wires and I couldn't even find where/how to take the dash off!?!?!

FNDRB58 09-05-2005 12:04 AM

Just to clarify. It is the plastic piece that surrounds the gauges that is getting hung up. Specifically, at the center rear part just where it meets the dashboard.

94Z28WP 09-05-2005 12:18 AM

Like said above, you need to lift the dash pad and unscrew the two screws that hold the top of the trim piece... The dash pad, meaning the large plastic piece in between the windshield and the dash itself... You'll have to remove the drivers a pillar in order to lift the dash pad up enough to reach the screws.

Z95m6 09-05-2005 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by FNDRB58
Just to clarify. It is the plastic piece that surrounds the gauges that is getting hung up. Specifically, at the center rear part just where it meets the dashboard.

You have to take off the dash pad. The part with the rear defroster vent. If not you will probably break it trying to lift if high enough to get to the screws. Thats why i love my TA dash. I can remove the cluster with out messing with the dash pad. I'm always nervous as hell messing with the dash pad, one false move and Snap its done for.

FNDRB58 09-05-2005 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
You have to take off the dash pad. The part with the rear defroster vent. If not you will probably break it trying to lift if high enough to get to the screws. Thats why i love my TA dash. I can remove the cluster with out messing with the dash pad. I'm always nervous as hell messing with the dash pad, one false move and Snap its done for.

Forgive me. I just don't understand what you mean by the "dash pad." And I don't know of a "rear defroster vent." :confused: There is a rear defroster button in the area which I have already disconnected.

I have the bottom panels off already including the panel around the radio. I've taken off all bolts that secure the panel around the gauge cluster except the area in question.

94Z28WP 09-05-2005 01:19 AM

Read my post above and you'll see what he means.. The large plastic piece in between the windshield and dash with the defrost vent.

JewBacca 09-05-2005 01:21 AM

ok, this may help you. i know it did for me.

http://members.tripod.com/bpador/modinstruction.html

i don't know how to set up a link, so just cut and paste. it is written as if you were putting in white face gauges, but the important thing is it tells you how to get the cluster out.

FNDRB58 09-05-2005 01:29 AM

Yeah, I read that earlier from BFs technical site. After rereading it, I guess Step 5 is where I am at. I am having trouble with the terminology describing the various pieces. I will follow step 5 and see if i can "pry open the pop clips that secure it."

JewBacca 09-05-2005 01:37 AM

yeah, what you need to "pry up" is the big peice of plastic where you have you window defroster vent. what you do is slide a flat head screw driver under it and pull up. they should "pop" loose, then you can see the screws to get it out (there are to). you will also have to remove the A-pillar plastic molding to lift the dash pad high enough to get at the bolts. i guess that is the best way i can describe it...

Z95m6 09-05-2005 01:37 AM

Sorry if i threw you off. You need to remove the plastic piece that has the front window defroster.

revtime 09-05-2005 01:46 AM

Is the piece that goes over the cluster loose? If it is and it comes forward it needs to somersault over the steering wheel.
Make sure you remove the dash pad....its the huge picnic table size piece that butts to the windshield. Be very careful. remove the A pillars first. now you should see the bolts for the piece that covers the cluster, once you remove the 2 on top, one on the left side, and 2 if I remember correctly on the right that whole plastic piece will come forward and somersault over the steering wheel.
heres what it looks like if you take everything out. http://mofbody.com/pics/shifter1.jpg

FNDRB58 09-05-2005 02:12 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I will give it a try later today. I'm doing this because I have an obnoxious ticking sound behind the left vent that I can't get to any other way. I need to get rid of the gauge pod in order to get the left panel (that surrounds the fuse box) off to gain access to where this noise is originating. Such a hassle just for a little ticking noise but it drives me crazy. I'll replace the clear plastic gauge cover while I'm at it as it seems to be kinda fuzzy or melted or something.