CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/)
-   -   Current Budget, Future Digit Idea (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/current-budget-future-digit-idea-261037/)

Need4Camaro 05-12-2004 08:01 PM

Current Budget, Future Digit Idea

Okay, my last post in this board stated this, I need a financable Z28 or Formula under 9K... I was well past unsucessfull. However after alittle bit of looking around I saw a 94 Firebird with T-Tops and it was a 5 Speed for $3,100. It's a 3.4 V6 with about 180K miles and this gave me an idea. How's the idea of buying a cheap but running V6 F-Body for no more than 3K regaurdless of milage. How is the idea of getting the car good enough to running conditions to get my dad to and from work, and eventually converting it to a Z28 or Formula by dropping a LT1, LS1 or maybee even a corvette engine in it in the future? wouldn't this be way cheaper because the cost of the car is cheaper and insurance is cheaper? wouldn't it actually be alittle cheaper to drop the block in?

Whats your oppinion? can this be done or should I just keep praying on a underpriced Z?

DonHood 05-13-2004 10:55 AM

Re: Current Budget, Future Digit Idea

Originally posted by Need4Camaro
Okay, my last post in this board stated this, I need a financable Z28 or Formula under 9K... I was well past unsucessfull. However after alittle bit of looking around I saw a 94 Firebird with T-Tops and it was a 5 Speed for $3,100. It's a 3.4 V6 with about 180K miles and this gave me an idea. How's the idea of buying a cheap but running V6 F-Body for no more than 3K regaurdless of milage. How is the idea of getting the car good enough to running conditions to get my dad to and from work, and eventually converting it to a Z28 or Formula by dropping a LT1, LS1 or maybee even a corvette engine in it in the future? wouldn't this be way cheaper because the cost of the car is cheaper and insurance is cheaper? wouldn't it actually be alittle cheaper to drop the block in?

Whats your oppinion? can this be done or should I just keep praying on a underpriced Z?

Thing is, not only do you have to change the engine, you have to change everything else as well. Suspension has to be changed, transmission, driveshaft, rear end, etc. You should be able to easily find a LT1 f-body in excellent shape for under 9k. Hell, you could probably get a high mileage LS1 for that price.

Loony 05-13-2004 04:13 PM

Re: Current Budget, Future Digit Idea

by dropping a LT1, LS1 or maybee even a corvette engine in it in the future?
LT1's and LS1's ARE Vette engines. Maybe you're talking about the LS2:think:

Anyways, I would just wait for a Z...cause your way would be a lot of time/cussing/pain/green. Good luck with your search:)

Need4Camaro 05-16-2004 09:26 AM

When I said vette engines I meant an LT4 or an LS6, I know they're all 350's but those have alittle more power than an LT1 / LS1

I still can't find any reasonably priced Z's on autotrader. Whenever I find one it's usually gone, or infinancable.

but thanks for the help

zoomjrl 05-17-2004 12:25 AM

just keep looking. if you have to, look out of state, i'm sure there are lots in FL

Loony 05-17-2004 12:57 AM

When I said vette engines I meant an LT4 or an LS6, I know they're all 350's but those have alittle more power than an LT1 / LS1

I still can't find any reasonably priced Z's on autotrader. Whenever I find one it's usually gone, or infinancable.

but thanks for the help

Ahh I see, I thought you were talkin base vettes....say Z06 next time!!!! :D