General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Problem with hoisted up engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Problem with hoisted up engine

So I put my Camaro's engine on a hoist so I could replace the subframe, but I had to return some things so I wasn't able to get it on. I left it on the hoist and had to leave for 3 days and when I came back the hoist was completely lowered. I jacked it back up and didn't hear anything bad, but what should I look for that could be damaged?
Old 11-08-2017, 04:05 PM

Re: Problem with hoisted up engine

Oil pan.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:32 AM

Is that it? Because there's nothing wrong with the oil pan. It's still connected to the car, I didn't detach anything, not even the transmission. I just hoisted it up into place so when I dropped the K member it didn't move. Are you sure only the oil pan Would be effected?
Old 11-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Not enough info provided for anyone to give a meaningful answer.

Was the engine still over the engine bay, or outside the engine bay? Was the K-member no longer under the engine? If not, what did the engine land on when it dropped - concrete floor? And the question no one knows the answer to - how fast did it drop.... slowly as the hoist lost pressure, or suddenly? You mention the transmission. Appears it was still attached to the engine. Was the trans cross-member still in place, causing the nose of the engine to hit first? If so, could the crank damper have hit the floor on the way down?

A picture might help.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:50 AM

I don't have a picture to provide as i raised it back up, but the engine is still in the engine bay, and the only things disconnected from the engine are the air filter and k member. The k member is not on or under the car. The hoist was slowly letting down over 4 days and did not touch the ground, though it came close. My car is also jacked up quite a bit so it went pretty far. I want to know if any tubing or connections would have been damaged and how can I check.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:14 PM
Administrator

A/C and heater plumbing still connected when it dropped? If so, that needs to be checked. All the harness wires too - particularly the connectors at the PCM. Exhaust still connected when it dropped? Check that. Radiator hoses still connected? Trans cooler lines still connected? If any of those were still connected, need to be checked.

Did it drop nose down, because the trans was still attached? Did the driveshaft get twisted upward, along with the torque arm? Anything there get bent, torque arm bushing damaged? Did it hit any brake lines on the driver side where they run along the subframe? Did anything hit the throttle cable that runs from the cruise control box on the driver side subframe, up around the driver inner fender?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 AM

I will check all of that when im home in the afternoon. I forgot to mention the exhaust was disconnected, so that's fine, but I will check all of those other things.