General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Car has sit for about 2 years, got some safety questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:57 PM

Car has sit for about 2 years, got some safety questions

I've recently decided to sell (or trade) my car locally. It's been sitting out in the front yard since November 08 after I blew out the rear axle and I haven't started it since probably last summer. I've been getting some good trade offers recently and one of the guys asked if it would start up. I said I thought it would, but I would check.

So today I took my truck out there and hooked up the battery in the car, hooked up the jumper cables, and after a few minutes of charging, it fired right up . It almost made me decide to keep it, but I don't have the time or money to love it. So after a few minutes of it just idling (I know better than to rev it up), it starts to pop in the engine bay. It's not the engine, there's no leaks coming out from under it, so I'm confused . I turn the car off quickly and there's a little smoke coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. The smoke isn't thick at all and doesn't smell like coolant or oil or any fluid that I can recognize.

Any ideas on what it could be? The car was running smooth, I'm assuming it was just the stuff that's built up on the engine/exhaust over time. Now I'm scared to restart it again, definitely don't want to lose the car out in the front yard to a fire.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Just keep a fire extinguisher or hose handy. Probably just crap that built up inside/on the headers while it sat. It's pretty common for cars that have sat for a while to burn off stuff when they're first started up again.