General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

bizarro WS-6 wheel issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:30 PM

bizarro WS-6 wheel issue

Like hundreds of others, I just purchased a set of used WS-6 wheels (from a '99) to put on my ('95 Formula) Firebird. The fronts seemed to bottom against the rotor hub -- seat -- like they should and cinch on properly with the studs. When I put on the left REAR, it didn't seem to bottom as deeply --- it wobbled a bit like it didn't seat on the hub like it should and I had a lot more trouble starting the nuts on the studs than the other. I started to think that maybe WS-6 wheels take different -- longer -- lug nuts than standard Firebird wheels -- do they?? In any case, I got them as tight as they'd go, drove around a --large -- block, and was starting to hear noise my final half mile back so drove as slow as I could. When I pulled the wheel off, two of the nuts had been stripped, luckily the studs seem okay (at least the "good" nuts seem to go on all the studs), but clearly something is wrong. When I tried to seat the wheel, I took the center cap off the rim and watched to see if it sits on the axle hub -- the center rim hole does not look like it or the hub fit together at all.

This is presumably a factory axle and hub, and obviously a factory wheel. how could they not fit? Or could it be that that particular rotor is not seating properly so there is less of the studs projecting? Or perhaps someone put something -- washers -- behind the rotor? Or, again, that different lug nuts are needed....?

Thanks for any help you can give -- it's driving me insane trying to figure this one out!
Old 09-05-2016, 02:18 PM

Re: bizarro WS-6 wheel issue

Probably because of this ...
Old 09-05-2016, 02:51 PM

Shoebox, you came through once again, both by replying and reminding me of your great site. I've never heard anyone ever mention that there might be two center-hole sizes on WS-6 wheels!

BTW the other rear wheel was a mutt --- a WS-6 from another car, not from the '99 (which was totaled taking out one of its wheels). That probably explains why it fit --- its an earlier (or modified wheel). I'll take them both off and compare.

Now -- after I file the hole -- all I need to do is find a place open on Labor Day weekend that has f-body lug nuts to replace the two that got trashed on my short test ride.

Thanks again, shoebox, and have a great rest-of-Labor Day.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Administrator

In addition to Shoebox's writeup, a "search" would have turned up this in our "Wheels and Tires" forum FAQ:

Post #10

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/whe...2/#post3424654