General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Banging sound under my car... what could it be?

Old 08-11-2005, 07:25 AM

Re: Banging sound under my car... what could it be?

Originally Posted by Byllz
Ok, Ive been driving the car a few days now since replacing the transmission mount. The loud bang under the floor is gone. There is still the matter of the softer clank that sounds like its coming from the trunk area (sounds like its coming from the driver side, but it's hard to tell for sure) when I hit bumps in the road or turn a downhill corner. I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the rear suspension. Anyone have any ideas? Can anyone explain how to check the rear suspension to see if that might be the culprit?
Hmm, wheel bearings maybe? not sure. Definitely not the hatch rattling or clunking right?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:03 PM

How would I go about checking the wheel bearings to see if thats the cause? Definitely not the hatch lid. It sounds as if something is hitting the underside of the trunk (or maybe in the fender well). It's not very loud either. Almost like a single dull clank sound. I wish there was some way to record the sound and post it up here, but it wouldn't be loud enough for anyone to hear it in a recording. Is it possible that its just gas slapping against the inside of the gas tank? Another thing I was thinking it may be is that something in the suspension is loose. I read somewhere that there is a way to tighten up some sort of plate that the shocks mount to, but I don't have any idea how to go about doing this. If anyone knows how to do this I would appreciate a short walkthrough so that I can check that out.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Byllz
How would I go about checking the wheel bearings to see if thats the cause? Definitely not the hatch lid. It sounds as if something is hitting the underside of the trunk (or maybe in the fender well). It's not very loud either. Almost like a single dull clank sound. I wish there was some way to record the sound and post it up here, but it wouldn't be loud enough for anyone to hear it in a recording. Is it possible that its just gas slapping against the inside of the gas tank? Another thing I was thinking it may be is that something in the suspension is loose. I read somewhere that there is a way to tighten up some sort of plate that the shocks mount to, but I don't have any idea how to go about doing this. If anyone knows how to do this I would appreciate a short walkthrough so that I can check that out.
You could check for excessive play in axle. Try wiggleing the rear wheels and pulling and pushing a bit and check for alot of movement. Most likely its not wheel bearings though, that was just a wild guess. How bout u-joints? Depending on how long you trans mount has been broken, its possible the u-joints could be toast. Jack up the car and support the rear axle with jack stands. Put the car in neutral and set the parking brake. Now rotate the drive shaft back and forth by hand, checking the joint for any play if any play is detected, the U-joint will have to be replaced. Bad ujoints will cause clunking.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:38 PM

check the rear lower control arm bolts as well, just use a pry bar and try to move the control arm, if it moves more then just flex in the bushing, tighten the bolt
Old 08-12-2005, 05:24 PM

Pretty common problem w/ fbodies..had it in my 97 unfortunately I sold it to quick find out what it really was
Old 08-12-2005, 07:11 PM

Thank you guys. I'll check all of that stuff out this weekend. I'll post back then to let you all know what I find.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:18 PM

yeah check out your rear control arms, I replaced mine with tubulars and after a few hundred miles they loosed up a little as the bushings wore in. I probably should have made them tighter initially but I didnt want to overtorque them and stress the mounting points. I have subframe connectors too though, so I guess that puts a little more stress on the bolt. Anyways, check it out, I could actually wiggle mine a tad, so when I hit bumps it would cause a banging that sounded like it was coming from the rear seat/hatch area.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:25 AM

I had a soft clunking sound coming from the back of my car, I wedged some large screws in the muffler hangers and it stopped. There was about a quarter inch of space in the rubber mounts for the muffler hangers.