General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Any guides on how to put a door lock rod clip on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 PM

Any guides on how to put a door lock rod clip on?

Well last night someone stole gas straight from my tank and apparently tried to get into my car, and in the process messed up my door locks. I searched and came up with it being the door lock rod clip, because I can open the door, but only if I hold the unlock button (on the inside, not the keyless entry) and open the door at the same time. I didn't find any guides on how to change it out, so it might be straight forward, but I'd like the advice from anyone who has done it still.

So, any advice?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 PM

pull your door panel off, its pretty simple. At the very back of the door, you'll see the latch assembly, the clips are plastic. It clips around the rod, and pops into the latch assembly. You'll probably see exactly what ya need as soon as you look back there.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 95camaroinok
pull your door panel off, its pretty simple. At the very back of the door, you'll see the latch assembly, the clips are plastic. It clips around the rod, and pops into the latch assembly. You'll probably see exactly what ya need as soon as you look back there.
So I won't have to take the latch assembly off? I'm taking it from what you said that I'll see exactly what it needs whenever I get the new one today and it won't much to change it out, just taking the skin off on the inside and trading it out with the assembly on.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:32 PM

nope, just take the inside door panel off and theres a big enough access area on the back section of the door to stick you head in there and see everything. Not a big job by any means. Good luck, just look at the other rod thats still connected to see how the clip pops on. I might have a picture if you cant figure it out. I think shoebox might even have a pic on his site that shows that area back there too. let me know if you run into any problems.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM

This is from shoeboxs site, Driver door looking to the back of the door. Will be what you see when you stick your head in there and look back at the latch assembly. The two rods and a pair of wires run to the latch/lock assembly. The little white clips should be what your after.
http://shbox.com/1/pwr_lock.jpg

I cant remember off the top of my head which one goes to the lock and which one goes to the door handle. Theres also the two rods that run up to the outside lock and handle. check those as well. One is a black plastic clip towards the outside of the door, I believe the rod for the outside lock also uses one of the little white clips. Been a while since I've been in my doors. Hope that helps.

Last edited by 95camaroinok; 05-30-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:39 AM

Well yesterday I checked all of the clips, and one was loose, so I replaced it and there's no difference. I changed the one going from the lock cylinder down. Maybe it isn't a rod clip.

Any idea on this? If I use to door handle on the inside the one on the outside pops up a lot further than the functioning passenger side. It is loose as hell and doesn't do anything at all from either door handle unless you hold the inside button (not the electronic, the manual one) on unlock. I guess I'm going to have to take it apart to look at it .
Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 AM

Sounds like they bent the lock rod. Pop the inside lock rod off the latch assembly and see if that allows the handles to work right. (dont shut the door to test as it may be a pain to get back in there to pull on it to unlock/unlatch)

If they tore up your latch assembly, Im pretty sure I have an extra one layin around I'd let go of for $10 plus shipping. I'll plug it in and test the power out before I ship it. I know the manual functions were all ok. (My power options weren't hooked up when I had this one in the car, and I bought a new wire harness on ebay from door to door and it had both latch assemblies with it so I just changed them out anyway.)

You may get away with just bending things back in place though, so hopefully thats all you need. Thats what it sounds like anyway. If your not sure, either take a picture and post it here or if you dont have a digital cam, I can take a picture of the latch I have and you can see if it looks like yours is bent.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 AM

I took it apart last night and all the rods look straight, but I could be wrong. One of my buddies might have an extra door (he bought another one I know, so IDK what happened to the old one). I know a junkyard down the road that has 3 Camaros like mine too. Thanks for the offer though 95camaroinok. I think I'm just going to get the latch assembly locally today or tomorrow if I can. When I took the assembly out it just seemed wore out from years of service. I'll post and tell how it goes on that front though.

Thanks again.