CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/)
-   -   Another security light issue. Wiring issue/short? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/another-security-light-issue-wiring-issue-short-866402/)

JGuy07 06-11-2012 11:35 AM

Another security light issue. Wiring issue/short?

Been a long time since I've made a post, no problems until now.

Problem started this past Friday. After I cleaned the car, not auto wash, I pulled out and parked the car to clean/vacuum the inside. I left the key in and had the radio on. Cleaned out the inside of the car, went to start and flashing security light. After 2 hours of trying to solve this issue in the lot I got a tow home.

Originally thought it could just be a VATS issue. But I've also been having some weird symptoms with my wipers. I'll turn the key to the ON position, gauges will light and I'll hear a groaning sound coming from behind the column or dash lights as if there is a short. When this happens the wipers come alive in the OFF position yet the speed controls work just fine, the wipers just won't shut off. This problem began Thursday, the day before the first security light and has continued randomly still. Wipers worked fine yesterday, no weird noise and correct function, today I hear the noise and wipers going crazy.

Reading through shoebox's write up I know I must have a short somewhere since the light is flashing. It doesn't stay on constantly as it goes off once I turn the key to the OFF position. Not sure though if my wiper issue is related to the security light or not, didn't think these wires had anything to do with each other in the column.

I've tried understanding the schematics of the wiring system but not really catching on too quickly with that. Any further info on what to look for would help. I haven't dug into the column yet still looking for info. So far I've only cleaned out the cylinder with proper cleaner and also cleaned the key, obviously didn't work.

JGuy07 06-11-2012 01:30 PM

Re: Another security light issue. Wiring issue/short?

Using a meter to read my key I pulled 883ohms off one side, flip the leads and pulled 884ohms from the other, isn't there suppose to be a greater difference?

I got under the column and disconnected the wires which run from the cylinder (orange sleeve containing two white wires). Hooked up my meter up to the connector and should get about the same reading as what I got from my key, yet I can't seem to get anything no reading at all. This means the cylinder is worn out and needs replaced?

shoebox 06-11-2012 04:00 PM

The reading should actually be the same, no matter if you swap the leads (you have to allow for any slight skew in physical connection).

If you test back toward the key cylinder from under the dash, ideally you would get the same reading you got from your key. If there is no reading, there is no continuity.

I might suspect you have some chafed wires in the column tube that is causing your wiper problem, too. Could be that your VATS wires got damaged in there, as well.

JGuy07 06-12-2012 02:09 PM

I did find a good write up on dismantling the steering column so I'm probably going to go that route instead of just using a resistor. Need to find the wiper wires anyway and check them out. Doesn't seem too bad, only bad part of the write up was when it mentioned losing the dimmer switch for the headlights. Should be fun.

JGuy07 06-12-2012 03:05 PM

If I were to just use a resistor for now, I would need something close to 887. The best I could find is a 820 resistor, would this be close enough to work?

Assuming this would do the trick, maybe someone else on the forum has used this product?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-VATS-Bypa...0&cmd=ViewItem

shoebox 06-13-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by JGuy07 (Post 6908149)
If I were to just use a resistor for now, I would need something close to 887. The best I could find is a 820 resistor, would this be close enough to work?

Assuming this would do the trick, maybe someone else on the forum has used this product?
GM VATS Bypass keycode # 4 | eBay

No, 820 is not going to work. Look at the chart on my website. You can chain resistors together to get closer.

Why would you spend $18+ instead of a couple resistors that costs less than a dollar?