CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/)
-   -   Alarm (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/alarm-887246/)

Mike76 02-09-2019 04:48 PM

Alarm

I have 96 camaro rs that won't start. The security light don't flash but it still will not start. What is the problem?

Injuneer 02-09-2019 06:35 PM

Re: Alarm

Not going to get much help here on a 5th Gen (2010-2015) forum. Let's move this to “General 67-02 F-Body Tech”. Could try the “V6 Tech” forum, but not much activity there.

Need more info:

- what happens when you turn the key to “run”? Do the dash lights come on briefly? Do you hear the fuel pump run for two seconds?

- what happens when you turn the key to “start” - does it engage the starter and crank the engine, or nothing at all?

- if it cranks the engine, any sign it’s trying to start - pops or a sputters from a few cylinders firing?

- have you scanned it for codes, or have you checked the fuel pressure?

Mike76 02-09-2019 08:08 PM

It would start and then stop. Run fine for a few seconds and then die. Now it only truns over and tries to crank but it won't. Has new fuel pump and relay. I have a alarm interface to bypass alarm but don't know where exactly it goes. The motor has new heads. It wasn't to crank so bad but it just can't. When it did crank it would run a few seconds and then die. It would run good and then spit and spuder. I know it has to be something simple just don't know what.

Injuneer 02-10-2019 09:12 AM

When you say “alarm”, what are you referring to - the PASS-Key (VATS) security system, the optional factory alarm system, or an aftermarket alarm system?

You indicate the “SECURITY” light doesn’t flash. When you turn the key to “run” does the “SECURITY” light come on during the bulb check, then go off after a few seconds? When you try to start the engine, does the light come on and stay on (as opposed to “flashing”? That would indicate a mismatch on the key resistor. Flashing indicates the circuit that reads the key resistance is faulty. Since the starter engages and cranks the engine, the resistance check was OK.

Then there's the fuel enable signal from the body control module (BCM) to the PCM. Is that what you mean by “an alarm interface to bypass alarm”?

Questions you didn’t answer - Have you checked the fuel pressure? There are a lot of low quality and even counterfeit fuel pumps on the market. I've seen cases where the flex line in the fuel tank has cracked during pump replacement, and even cases of the flex line connection not being tight. Then there's the possibility of a plugged fuel filter.

And... have you checked the PCM for codes?

Mike76 02-10-2019 10:17 AM

The security light comes on when you turn the key and goes off and does not come back on. It has pressure to the fuel rails but i have no way of checking it. It would crank and few seconds and then spit and shut off . I don't hear the pump turning on anymore like before. I just thought it miight have been the alarm system

Injuneer 02-10-2019 04:49 PM

What alarm system?. It would be easier to help you if you answered ALL the questions. Not every 96 has a factory alarm system.

You can check the fuel pressure with a $25 fuel pressure test gauge. Or, you may be able to borrow one from an auto parts store with a refundable deposit.

Mike76 02-10-2019 04:57 PM

Well this does!!!!! It has fuel to the fuel rails trys to crank but wont. I cant disconnect the battery and hook it back up. And then you will here the pump come on. Trys crank but wont. Pump will not come back on unless you disconnect the battery. I just need to know what the hell is wrong. Sorry to bother everyone. Put new head gasket and had heads redone. Now it wont crank. Just trying to get it going. Sorry.

Injuneer 02-10-2019 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mike76 (Post 7001746)
Well this does!!!!! It has fuel to the fuel rails trys to crank but wont. I cant disconnect the battery and hook it back up. And then you will here the pump come on. Trys crank but wont. Pump will not come back on unless you disconnect the battery. I just need to know what the hell is wrong. Sorry to bother everyone. Put new head gasket and had heads redone. Now it wont crank. Just trying to get it going. Sorry.

OK - thanks for sharing. I asked you in post #4 what you were calling the “alarm”. You never directly answered the question. You failed to answer several questions.

Since you are obviously not satisfied with my feeble attempt to help you, I'll stop bothering you. Maybe someone else will want to help you.

Might want to lose the attitude.

Mike76 02-11-2019 03:08 PM

Sorry about the attitude. Im just worked on this car so much and it won't start. I know its gotta be something simple . I just know what. I thought it might the alarm system but dont seem to be. I just need some help. Sorry.