General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

98-02 Firebird door panels, anywhere to buy new?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:50 PM

98-02 Firebird door panels, anywhere to buy new?

At this point is there anywhere at all that these can be purchased new? Does GM even still make them?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Re: 98-02 Firebird door panels, anywhere to buy new?

You could ask at a dealership parts counter, but I don't think GM makes them anymore.

NOS door panels don't seem to be available either. However, there are lots of used panels in great condition on eBay. Is there a reason you don't want to go that route?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Are you trying to replace them because of the cracking that is common to the 98-02 panels? If so, there is an online procedure for repairing them. Try a google search. I'll see if I can remember where I saw it.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
You could ask at a dealership parts counter, but I don't think GM makes them anymore.

NOS door panels don't seem to be available either. However, there are lots of used panels in great condition on eBay. Is there a reason you don't want to go that route?
Thanks Jake! Yeah, I actually called 2 Chevy dealerships locally to check, just in case, even though I was pretty sure I already knew the answer. The door panels are a discontinued part that are no longer being manufactured :-( I've also spent about 2 hours searching various parts websites on the internet as well & no one has any.

I realize that local owner to owner, eBay & junk/salvage yards are pretty much my only options at this point. I have yet to set out and check all the local salvage yards, but I have been keeping an eye on eBay for several weeks now & haven't found any that I would spend the money on. Most that I'm finding either have the cracks or have some pretty undesirable scratching and/or sun damage.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Are you trying to replace them because of the cracking that is common to the 98-02 panels? If so, there is an online procedure for repairing them. Try a google search. I'll see if I can remember where I saw it.
Yes. Both sides in mine have cracks on the top near the opening as well as lower on the inside around the leather trim. I learned about the "fix" too late as the cracks had already happened at that point. I guess I should be thankful I found the fix when I did.

I would appreciate if you could point me in that direction, I have only ever seen threads/write ups with respect to the fix to prevent & stop the cracking, but haven't ever seen anything about repairing already established cracks. I am a bit skeptical about how good something like that might turn out, but I am open to the possibility!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Check this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...e-pics-25.html

27 pages, but a good place to look is post #159 (all words, unfortunately no pics); #485 is the one I'm familiar with, lots of pics; #504 shows how to use 93-97 panels, which are not prone to cracking.

What color is your interior? Seems ebony is easy to paint/vinyl dye match. Brand/color is mentioned in later posts. I have used an Eastwood Company vinyl paint that is a good match for my dark gray interior. I think SEM is the same paint as Eastwood. Some of the plastic "repair" kits include colors that can be blended to match - mentioned in the thread as being available at Walmart.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Check this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...e-pics-25.html

27 pages, but a good place to look is post #159 (all words, unfortunately no pics); #485 is the one I'm familiar with, lots of pics; #504 shows how to use 93-97 panels, which are not prone to cracking.

What color is your interior? Seems ebony is easy to paint/vinyl dye match. Brand/color is mentioned in later posts. I have used an Eastwood Company vinyl paint that is a good match for my dark gray interior. I think SEM is the same paint as Eastwood. Some of the plastic "repair" kits include colors that can be blended to match - mentioned in the thread as being available at Walmart.
Thanks, I appreciate the guidance. Now that I see that thread, I am sure that I've been in there before years ago. I did do the cracking fix to mine, but, again, only after they had already manifested. My guess is that thread might have been what alerted me to the larger issue. I remember kind of trying a half-assed crack repair several years ago with epoxy to help prevent further cracking, but it really didn't do anything to mask or hide the crack. So, I am not opposed to doing it myself if it's really possible to fix up to the point of looking new & not being able to tell that the cracks were ever there. I may dive into this if I am unsuccessful in finding any panels second hand.

Mine are ebony with leather. And, unfortunately I am a perfectionist, so, the existence of the cracks that I do have bother the **** out of me, even though I managed to mitigate them and ensure that they didn't get any bigger. Also, my panels have suffered the fate of time & use to where they have developed some scratching/scuffing over the years that I don't care for either (mostly on the wife's side from her damn feet )

Does anyone have any idea why Classic Industries hasn't offered a reproduction panel at this late of stage? It's been well over a decade since this issue was identified....one would think that the demand is out there