CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/)
-   -   97 Camaro window problem (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/97-camaro-window-problem-885961/)

97rebuiltZ28 08-31-2017 08:26 PM

97 Camaro window problem

First off, I have read a lot about the 4th gen f-body windows and how their motors don't have enough power running to them and that they'll burn up that way.

My drivers window has seemed to be in great condition for the couple of months that I've had the car running.(It has rolled down fast, and rolled up fast, even though the passenger side is extremely sluggish). But today I was in a drive through and when I went to roll the window back up, it would not at all. I would hear the clicking sound that it makes under the steering wheel somewhere, but the window would never budge.

It has been down now for 7 hours, and I go out and check every few hours to see if it will work but it still won't. SO, does this sound like the motor, or could this be the switch or electrical? The reason I ask is also because I can sometimes roll the passenger window up and down from the drivers side, and other times I can only roll the passenger window down with the controls on the passenger side.

Injuneer 08-31-2017 09:53 PM

Re: 97 Camaro window problem

I'm going to move this. "Car Audio and Electronics" is not too busy, and is intended for audio and aftermarket electronic gadgets. Window motor problems are routinely covered on "General 67-02 F-Body Tech".

97rebuiltZ28 09-02-2017 09:41 AM

Here's an update. After a full day of cooling off, the window slowly came up. So now I won't roll it down again unless I have to!

Injuneer 09-02-2017 10:25 AM

Did you ever check Shoebox's writeup on the window motors/switches?

Power Window Motor

97rebuiltZ28 09-02-2017 10:35 AM

I did not, however I did watch some YouTube videos of the replacement and how to do it.

Injuneer 09-02-2017 04:25 PM

He includes comments on problems with the switches, the need for lubrication of the tracks, etc. Explains when you hear the clicking under the dash.

87Aerocoupe 10-30-2017 05:37 PM

Another other thing that 97-up Fbody owners need to be aware of is the BCM (body control module) these are know to have a power window relay which has shoddy soldering and the 5 pins need to be de-soldered/re-soldered.
You will know because the radio and windows will start to work intermittently then stop working altogether.
This module is under the dash on the passenger side just below the glove box, google 97-up Fbody BCM repair.
Ask me how I know because I'm in the midst of doing these repairs now plus I'm adding the Autotrix window relay kits which bypass the BCM and put both windows on their own relay system, I hope this helps.

96 Z 28 11-17-2017 01:48 PM

Personally - I've had this issue with both Driver and Passenger sides....

Both sides have been replaced with the Dorman Window Lift Motor and following the above Shoebox instructions....

Been years with Zero issues after doing that:):D

1999ls1ss 11-24-2017 12:34 PM

I stopped using my driver side window but guiding it up with your hand and press the UP button fast usually works. Sucks I can't go to drive thru places and I got pulled over for tints and had to open my door (to talk to him) and I thought the cop was going to shoot me lol.

97rebuiltZ28 11-24-2017 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1999ls1ss (Post 6995647)
I stopped using my driver side window but guiding it up with your hand and press the UP button fast usually works. Sucks I can't go to drive thru places and I got pulled over for tints and had to open my door (to talk to him) and I thought the cop was going to shoot me lol.

I have to do the same thing. Unfortunately I had to keep spending money on the many other problems and never got to the windows. Oh well, I’m hopefully about to be trading it for a 97 Trans Am!

1999ls1ss 11-24-2017 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 97rebuiltZ28 (Post 6995649)
I have to do the same thing. Unfortunately I had to keep spending money on the many other problems and never got to the windows. Oh well, I’m hopefully about to be trading it for a 97 Trans Am!

Same here held off on window motors while fixing other little things. Usually waiting a few hrs helps but my driver side is 100% dead the passenger side is slow and dies after 20 secs and have to wait hrs just to try and move it up and works. I heard there is a way to jump the window motor so it goes up if you're in an emergency weather wise. Good luck man.