General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

95 z28 camaro rich with fuel and flooding

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 06:19 PM

94 z28 camaro rich with fuel and flooding

Sorry in advance lol im new cut me some slack About 1 month ago my car started running very funny after it would get warmed up i would smell loads of fuel and the car would randomly die and i would have to sit there for about 30 min and wait then it would start again (sometimes having to unplug the fuel pump). I was thinking it could be the coolant temp sensor so i replaced that things got a little better but still no luck and my plugs keep getting fouled out. I then cleaned the maf still no luck. After me not getting anywhere i decided to replace the o2 sensors thinking it could maybe be that and that did not fix it either... I do have new coil pack and new plug wires and the only thing done to the car is a cai. Someone please help me with this i don't know what else to do.

Last edited by Bryson_bones; 11-07-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:58 PM

Re: 95 z28 camaro rich with fuel and flooding

it seems to do it as soon as the thermostat gets above 160 F
Old 10-27-2016, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Have you scanned it for codes? When you replaced the coolant temp sensor in the water pump housing, did you verify you have 5 volts at the harness connector, with the harness off the sensor?

Courtesy of Shoebox

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Excess fuel pressure, or a leaking fuel pressure regulator would seem like it should cause the rich condition all the time, not just above 160*F. But it's worth checking.

If you find no problems with the CLT sensor or the fuel pressure, would be a good idea to run a data log with Scan9495 and let us take a look at it. A "false" lean condition would show up in the long term fuel corrections (LTFT's, or BLM's).

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/

When trying to restart a flooded engine, put the accel pedal on the floor before turning the key to "start", and hold it there until the engine starts. That puts the PCM in "clear flood" mode, cutting fuel from the injectors.

Last edited by Injuneer; 10-27-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reply . No i took it to autozone for them to scan for codes and none of their scanners would work. So i ordered the cable that plugs into the pc then the car that will be here Monday. Im checking the harness now i will let you know soon.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bryson_bones
Thanks for the reply . No i took it to autozone for them to scan for codes and none of their scanners would work. So i ordered the cable that plugs into the pc then the car that will be here Monday. Im checking the harness now i will let you know soon.
None of their scanners would work because they looked at the 1995's 16-pin ALDL connector, and decided to use their OBD-2 scanners. 1995 is OBD-1. Common mistake.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:41 PM

everything seems ok with he harness its reading 6.9 V when the key is on
Old 10-29-2016, 03:50 PM

the iat sensor is reading at 4.9 i figured thats close enough to 5 isnt it?
Old 10-29-2016, 04:12 PM

also if i give it alot of gas when driving down the road even if it isnt at 180 it will flood so maybe tps?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bryson_bones
everything seems ok with he harness its reading 6.9 V when the key is on
No.... it's supposed to be 5.0 volts.

Are you sure you are checking the correct coolant temp sensor? And, did you measure the voltage at the connector with connector off the sensor? We're talking about the two-wire sensor in the water pump housing. The PCM supplies ~5.0 volts between the yellow and black wires in the connector. You measure that with the connector off the sensor. The only way you could get more than 5 volts would be if the voltage regulator in the PCM failed. That would probably cause your problem. Same black wire grounds the TPS sensor. So.... connector off the TPS sensor, measure the voltage between the black wire and the gray wire. Should be 5 volts. If that is also 6.9 volts, you robably found the problem.

Interesting that you got acceptable volts on the IAT sensor. But a problem with the IAT reading does cause the problem you are having. And that is on a different PCM ground circuit than the CLT sensor.

Or, maybe you measured from the 1-wire coolant temp sensor in the driver's side head, to engine ground, with the connector still on the sensor. With the wire off the sensor you would get 12 volts, part of the dash gauge circuit. With the connector n the sensor, you might get 6.9 volts.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
No.... it's supposed to be 5.0 volts.

Are you sure you are checking the correct coolant temp sensor? And, did you measure the voltage at the connector with connector off the sensor? We're talking about the two-wire sensor in the water pump housing. The PCM supplies ~5.0 volts between the yellow and black wires in the connector. You measure that with the connector off the sensor. The only way you could get more than 5 volts would be if the voltage regulator in the PCM failed. That would probably cause your problem. Same black wire grounds the TPS sensor. So.... connector off the TPS sensor, measure the voltage between the black wire and the gray wire. Should be 5 volts. If that is also 6.9 volts, you robably found the problem.

Interesting that you got acceptable volts on the IAT sensor. But a problem with the IAT reading does cause the problem you are having. And that is on a different PCM ground circuit than the CLT sensor.

Or, maybe you measured from the 1-wire coolant temp sensor in the driver's side head, to engine ground, with the connector still on the sensor. With the wire off the sensor you would get 12 volts, part of the dash gauge circuit. With the connector n the sensor, you might get 6.9 volts.
Ok i went and double checked the sensor and i must have had my multi meter on the wrong setting when checking it. CTS Sensor is reading at 4.98 V and the TPS sensor is reading at 4.98 V. I called o'reilly's and the said the had a diagnostic tool for obd1 so i'm going to go get it scanned today will update you in a bit...
Old 10-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Administrator

If it's an Innova or Equus scanner, it is probably going to give you a bogus list of 7 codes. Some models have a corrupt data base for the LT1 engine.

If it's a 12-pin OBD-1 scanner, without a 12-->16-pin connector, you have to do this:

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg
Old 10-30-2016, 07:09 PM

the scanner still did not work idk why. I'll just have to wait until that cord i ordered come into tomorrow
Old 11-06-2016, 02:33 PM

i'm replacing the fuel pump today it is making this weird whining sound now its still under warranty so no worries on the $$$
Old 11-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Cool Re: 95 z28 camaro rich with fuel and flooding

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If it's an Innova or Equus scanner, it is probably going to give you a bogus list of 7 codes. Some models have a corrupt data base for the LT1 engine.

If it's a 12-pin OBD-1 scanner, without a 12-->16-pin connector, you have to do this:

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg
i finally scanned it here is my log file
https://www.sendspace.com/file/olpmd0
Old 11-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Codes it is throwing
16: Distributor ignition system (low resolution pulse)
43: Knock Sensor (KS Circuit)
44: Bank 1 (Left) heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) Circuit (lean exhaust indicated)
51: EEPROM Programming error
64: Bank 2 (Right) heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) Circuit (lean exhaust indicated)
77: Colling fan relay control circuit

Quick Reply: 95 z28 camaro rich with fuel and flooding