General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Daylight Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:55 AM

Daylight Running Lights

I just purchased a 2002 Z28 convertible and I have a problem with the DRL. When the light switch is in the DRL position, the daylight running position, the headlamps will illuminate for a while and then quit. They work fine when switched to the full lighting position. The sensor on the dash isn't covered so I am wondering what else can be the problem. Thank you.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Re: Daylight Running Lights

I don't have DRL's, but I have a 2000 factory manual download that shows the system, quite likely the same as in your 2002. The wiring diagrams for the DRL's are fairly complex, and involve a "DRL Module". I noticed that the diagram only shows three headlight switch positions - "OFF", "PARK", "HEAD". Does not show a DRL position... so that's somewhat confusing. Is this a domestic model, as opposed to the export versions for various foreign countries, which have different versions of the DRL's?

Within the factory service manual, in addition to the wiring diagrams, there are troubleshooting logic diagrams for various DRL issues. The only diagnostic for DRL's is "inoperative". There are also diagnostics for the headlights, but nothing specific to HL's on w/ DRL's.

If you want to download the 2000 factory service manual:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Lighting systems are covered in Volume 3 of 3, Part 1 of 2.

DRL wiring diagrams (Domestic) page 8-41 and 8-42
DRL module connector faces 8-97
DRL diagnostics 8-122
HL diagnostics 8-142

The DRL module is "behind radio and HVAC controls, left of the instrument panel compartment".