CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/)
-   -   94 Camaro sub frame alignment issues (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/94-camaro-sub-frame-alignment-issues-886808/)

Joe's 94 Z28 07-29-2018 02:04 PM

94 Camaro sub frame alignment issues

Hey. I was reading up on this. My front sub frame is misaligned back by approx. 5/8" on the passengers side when measiring from center to center between the front and rear wheel hubs. The car was ditched a few years ago when i jad a seizure driving it. The windshield was intacked and no creases or discernable body bamage to the front clip, uni-body frames rails or sub frame. I've since replaced the entire front suspension with new adjustable lower control arms BMR spring KYB struts all all moog mounts. All name brand with in the past 6 months because the front right lower control arm was visually bent where the strut bolts up. The only OEM parts remaining on the front end are the upper control arms and mounts which both show no visable damage . I was told it cold be straightened .. Pulled straight .. Adjusted ..?? But im not sure of the process or how to do it. I need to take a few more measurements with the front wheels off yet. I'm just looking for a little advise as I just got my license back from a medical suspention and this car is my ticket back to work as a 310T truck and coach mechanic. Any help and/or advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks. Joe

joseph.a.j.tucker@gmail.com

DrewHMS97SS 07-30-2018 01:24 PM

Re: 94 Camaro sub frame alignment issues

There are machines that body shops use to correct issues with uni-body cars. I had a wreck in 1997 RS, and the dealership body shop that repaired it touted that they would pull the the car closer to spec than required on the factory line. In any case, I would call around to local body shops and find out which ones have a straightening machine and price out the repair. I would not recommend such a repair at home.

Joe's 94 Z28 07-30-2018 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS (Post 6999232)
There are machines that body shops use to correct issues with uni-body cars. I had a wreck in 1997 RS, and the dealership body shop that repaired it touted that they would pull the the car closer to spec than required on the factory line. In any case, I would call around to local body shops and find out which ones have a straightening machine and price out the repair. I would not recommend such a repair at home.

Hey man . thanks for the advise and after some more inspection i found right rear control arm bold had resized the adjustment hole on the impact that had knocked it out of alignment and bent the control arm. I made a couple slight adjustments. Found an 1/8" improvement in the wheel base changing it to appropriately 1/2" difference. I was told that about the body shops and pulling it straight told too. Some tricks to try it if i wanted but I'd rather a shop did at this point. I'm going to have to call around because i just put way too much money in the front end haha to match everything else already done in the back to support whats under the hood . I was talking to an alignment guy today too and was told the same it has to have a bend some where i just cant find where .. Uni-body .. Sub frame .. Looks like a frame jig it is if i want to drive it.

Thanks again

Joe's 94 Z28 07-30-2018 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Joe's 94 Z28 (Post 6999233)
Hey man . thanks for the advise and after some more inspection i found right rear control arm bold had resized the adjustment hole on the impact that had knocked it out of alignment and bent the control arm. I made a couple slight adjustments. Found an 1/8" improvement in the wheel base changing it to appropriately 1/2" difference. I was told that about the body shops and pulling it straight told too. Some tricks to try it if i wanted but I'd rather a shop did at this point. I'm going to have to call around because i just put way too much money in the front end haha to match everything else already done in the back to support whats under the hood . I was talking to an alignment guy today too and was told the same it has to have a bend some where i just cant find where .. Uni-body .. Sub frame .. Looks like a frame jig it is if i want to drive it.

Thanks again

Ok after calling Car Star the estimator said that i should replace the right upper control arm before taking it to them. Said he had one f-150 service truck that was chewing through right front tires and they swore time after time the frame was bent and it turned out to be a bent upper control arm. He said also now when ever they have a car wreck or ditched they replace all the suspention in the area impacted because 9 out of ten times it is the upper control arm that causes it. He said a 1/2" is a lot but it isn't and that a bent upper you wouldnt necessarily see or be able to tell was bent but still able to throw out the wheel base by that much. I asked as well and they are familiar with the 4th gen f-body's and uni - body or k member im still better off replacing the control arm first and have the money because it is 2.5 hr at $60 cdn/hr totaling $150 plus .. Just to check .. Im on Disability tryin to get to work but i didnt tell him the UMI uppers i want are more like $440 cdn to my door .Lol. But its $67 taxes in for an OEM one to try first because i can aford that this month. So thats where im at!!!

Thanks again!!

DrewHMS97SS 07-31-2018 09:32 AM

I haven't heard that mentality before about suspension parts. I hear you on the cost for aftermarket suspension, I just did my cross member, upper and lower control arms. I swear it's like buying gold. I suppose for the lower cost (though upper arms are a pain to replace, it's better than paying the shop to tell you the same thing.

Joe's 94 Z28 07-31-2018 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS (Post 6999247)
I haven't heard that mentality before about suspension parts. I hear you on the cost for aftermarket suspension, I just did my cross member, upper and lower control arms. I swear it's like buying gold. I suppose for the lower cost (though upper arms are a pain to replace, it's better than paying the shop to tell you the same thing.

Those were my thoughts exactly and yes that they are. But for what its worth at the moment Ive been screwing with it so much its not as bad to get apart any more its just time consuming. So its worth a shot. The BMR springs are 1. 1/4" drop so they slip out a litle easier then stock ones but because im wanting to make a set of 3 point frame connectors for it too so if anything is tweeked i want to know well in advance to welding anything in place. Because afterwards would be a role cage. Its got 206723km on the stock bottom end t56 and 3:4.2's with a Perfect Launch Girdle. Comp Billet .502 cam new GM performance lifters comp seemless push rods guide plates Manley 1.5 full roler rockers. I ported and poished the heads and port matched them to the intake and rounded the exhaust ports out to 1. 5/8" primarys to match my mid lengths into a full 3 inch exhaust. I did all the ignition with MSD and Taylor 8.8 wires and NGK Irridium plugs the ECM was done at PCM for leas. Every bolt on there is for the LT1. I've got a 52 mm throtrle body waitin to go on. Haha . I want it fixed!! Lol .

DrewHMS97SS 07-31-2018 02:45 PM

Good luck! Mine has been sitting around for quite awhile collecting dust, so I can appreciate your sentiment.

HardcoreRM125 08-23-2018 09:33 PM

Ever figure out what was tweaked or bent?

I bought my car totaled when I was 16. Pretty mechanically inclined but wasn't sure how to make sure it was straight. My Dad (a carpenter) had us chalk two parallel lines, 8' apart, line the car up perfectly on one line, and measure the offset from tires to the other parallel line. Mine was either 1/16" or an 1/8" I forget? But a frame shop said it was well within spec and straight so I bought the car and began figuring out how it all went back together.

Joe's 94 Z28 10-25-2018 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125 (Post 6999608)
Ever figure out what was tweaked or bent?

I bought my car totaled when I was 16. Pretty mechanically inclined but wasn't sure how to make sure it was straight. My Dad (a carpenter) had us chalk two parallel lines, 8' apart, line the car up perfectly on one line, and measure the offset from tires to the other parallel line. Mine was either 1/16" or an 1/8" I forget? But a frame shop said it was well within spec and straight so I bought the car and began figuring out how it all went back together.

Im still not 100% for sure but its looking to me more and more like the cradle may be my problem because its not a hell of a long way out but i did notice that bolt hole and tried a few different things and adjustments and did find i could get longer adjustments on the drivers side control arm to fit into the stock position and slide freely in the adjustment holes where as only a shorter one would fit the passengers side. for instance. I could fit an adjustment of 7.5 rotions of the rear hime joint into the control arm and into the k member where as on the passenger side the longest adjustment that would fit into the stock holes and slide was 8 full turns in which is about 3/16" shorter then the drivers side and physically would not allow the blot through the holes and hime joint at 7.5 turns like the drivers side did . I changed the drivers side back to 8 to match and i still have the same issue . Just more like 1/2" at the wheel end center to center . So the more i look and dig im leaning towards the K Member being my culprit!!

UMI. $950 to my door ...
​​​​​​​
So here's to hoping!! Haha .

Joe's 94 Z28 10-25-2018 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Joe's 94 Z28 (Post 7000442)
Im still not 100% for sure but its looking to me more and more like the cradle may be my problem because its not a hell of a long way out but i did notice that bolt hole and tried a few different things and adjustments and did find i could get longer adjustments on the drivers side control arm to fit into the stock position and slide freely in the adjustment holes where as only a shorter one would fit the passengers side. for instance. I could fit an adjustment of 7.5 rotions of the rear hime joint into the control arm and into the k member where as on the passenger side the longest adjustment that would fit into the stock holes and slide was 8 full turns in which is about 3/16" shorter then the drivers side and physically would not allow the blot through the holes and hime joint at 7.5 turns like the drivers side did . I changed the drivers side back to 8 to match and i still have the same issue . Just more like 1/2" at the wheel end center to center . So the more i look and dig im leaning towards the K Member being my culprit!!

UMI. $950 to my door ...

So here's to hoping!! Haha .

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cam...fee897effe.jpg
That one there. Havent ordered it yet though .

That one there. It's a little heavier then the BMR one but its got a lot more reinforcement then the BMR one does for $25 more and its still lighter then the OEM ones.