CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/)
-   -   93 Camaro wont crank won't do anything (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/93-camaro-wont-crank-wont-do-anything-886957/)

Itskellieebbyy 10-06-2018 12:50 AM

93 Camaro wont crank won't do anything

Ive been doing alot of reading on these forums and have gotten alot of useful information, but my situation is a little different, so I wanted to ask and see just what it could be..

I bought the car from my stepdad. He had it for years. Its in amazing condition, he maintained it very well. He drove it to waffle house at 4am one morning and when he went to leave the car wouldn't start. He had it towed home. He had it looked at and was told it was the ignition. He replaced it, and got new keys also. The original key is a chip key and the new one is not. So he looked up how to be able to use it, and was told to sauder the strip inside of the black circle (chip) on the key to what I'm guessing was the VATS system? One connector had purple and gray lines, the other had an orange wire that had two white wires coming out of it. The two white wires were saudered to each side of the key. It worked. He drove the car around afterwards. The car then again decided not to crank. He quit driving it, and it sat up for 4 years. He had it up on blocks so it wasnt touching the ground. It doesnt have any leaks, everything is as it was when he parked it. We put a battery in it, and turned the key just to see what was gonna happen, and it turned over, and tried, but wouldnt crank. We never heard the fuel pump come on or anything but all dash lights, guages, it just wouldnt start.
We had someone come look at it, but apparently in the end didnt know what they doing.
He figured it was the fuel pump was bad because he hard wired it up to make it turn on and it still wouldnt. Well he tells me to turn the key over and try it. Didnt work. He told me to do it again but thia time hold it over. I held it for prolly 30 seconds straight, and it made a click sound and all the lights and dash lights and guages went off. When I let go of the key they came back on. Now when I turn the key over the car won't even attempt to start. It does nothing but shut everything off. All lights and guages cut off. When I turn to acc. for all the dash lights to come on the security light stays on, and also did that in the begining before this problem started, when it would try to crank. I am so confused as to whats going on. Any input will be greatly appreciated...

its a regular 3.4l engine. Not a lt1 or z28 or anything..

DrewHMS97SS 10-06-2018 11:24 AM

Re: 93 Camaro wont crank won't do anything

Some of your terminology is confusing, and a number of different issues have been described.

First, if your key does not have the resistance chip in it, VATS would need to be bypassed to allow the car to function normally. See Shoebox's site for info: 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-PassKey/VATS

Next, if the car sat for 4 years with gas in the tank, there is a good possibility that the fuel in the tank has eaten away at the pump, fuel bucket and filter. You will want to verify the fuel pump and functionality before you go further. Connect a fuel pressure tester to the fuel rail, and connect 12v power to the fuel pump via the electrical port near the PCM.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cam...67ddf3b57d.jpg

This will turn the pump on without the car being on, so you will be able to see outside anything else being wrong, that the fuel pump is functioning. If you get nothing, the issue is likely in the tank. You could also pull the fuel line off the filter near the driver side rear tire and connect power to verify that there isn't a clogged fuel filter. If you still get no flow, the issue is at a minimum, in the tank. Info on the fuel filter: 4th Gen LT1 F-body Fuel Filter Replacement

Info on replacing the fuel pump:

It sounds like you also have an issue with your battery, but you need to get fuel flowing before anything else happens.

Injuneer 10-06-2018 06:50 PM

Not going to get a lot of additional help for an engine problem in “Car Audio....”. Let's move this to “General 67-02 F-Body Tech” forum. “V6 Tech” doesn’t get a lot of traffic either.

Injuneer 10-06-2018 07:24 PM

Before you apparently lost all power to the key “start” position, what was the “SECURITY” light doing when you turned the key to start? Was it flashing? Was it on solid? Was it not on at all?

If the theft deterrent module (TDM) does not see the correct resistance on the key (or a substitute resistor), there will be no fuel, and no starter crank. Soldering the wires to the opposite side of the key pellet was one way to do it, but wayyyy more difficult than simply adding a resistor as the Shoebox link shows. Too easy for the solder to deteriorate or come loose and resistance to be thrown off. Have to fix that problem as Drew stated above. Best solution would have been to first try cleaning the contacts in the lock cylinder, and if that didn't work, check for continuity on the two white wires, and if that’s OK, replace the lock cylinder.

The starter circuit has many components that could be damaged by excessive heat by holding the key in “start” too long. That includes a fusible link in the wire to the start switch, located at the red plastic + box near the battery.

Wouldn’t hurt draining the old fuel, to see how crudded up it is. You don't want to load the fuel filter and injectors up with sludge. If it's real bad, have the tank cleaned. If it’s not that bad, put a few gallons of fresh fuel in it.