General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

383 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:03 AM

383 stroker

I'm trying to get at least 400 HP or close to the wheels I just finished my bottom end it's a 383 stroker bored over 30, with 6 inch rods with forged everything and ARP bolts. New oil pump high volume/pressure. I have a 260 XFI HR-13 camshaft kit. Now I'm trying to find out what to do with the top end. Should I just port and Polish the intake/heads. Also it's a 6 speed 30th anniversary with 373 gears.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Re: 383 stroker

You need to have the stock LT1 heads and intake ported by an experienced shop specializing in the LT1. I would recommend you set your HP goals a bit higher, and look at the head porting and cams available here:

http://elliottsportworks.com/

400 HP at the rear wheels thru a T56 is about 460-465 HP at the crank. You can accomplish that with a stock 350, stock internals, and ported stock heads with matching cam. Generally, best to have the heads and cam done as a package, to get a good match on the cam. The cam you have chosen is very small for a 383... basically a mild upgrade for a stock LT1. Did you pick that in an attempt to pass some sort of tailpipe emissions?

Don't forget a 52mm (or 58mm) throttle body, good exhaust, larger injectors, and a PCM tune.

Are you using a stock oil pan? If so, a high volume oil pump is generally not a good idea. High pressure is fine.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Also consider this source:

Advanced Induction - LTx Cylinder Heads
Old 04-25-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You need to have the stock LT1 heads and intake ported by an experienced shop specializing in the LT1. I would recommend you set your HP goals a bit higher, and look at the head porting and cams available here:

http://elliottsportworks.com/

400 HP at the rear wheels thru a T56 is about 460-465 HP at the crank. You can accomplish that with a stock 350, stock internals, and ported stock heads with matching cam. Generally, best to have the heads and cam done as a package, to get a good match on the cam. The cam you have chosen is very small for a 383... basically a mild upgrade for a stock LT1. Did you pick that in an attempt to pass some sort of tailpipe emissions?

Don't forget a 52mm (or 58mm) throttle body, good exhaust, larger injectors, and a PCM tune.

Are you using a stock oil pan? If so, a high volume oil pump is generally not a good idea. High pressure is fine.
no I just had to from my old LT that I never installed not worry about passing anything. I was looking into the 503 cam with ported intake and heads to match?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dadger
no I just had to from my old LT that I never installed not worry about passing anything. I was looking into the 503 cam with ported intake and heads to match?
An it's an after market oil pan. Yea and I looked into the LE heads but the same stuff he does I can have done locally instead of shipping my heads and things to Texas
Old 04-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Administrator

But LE does a package = heads, intake and cam matched specifically to the head/intake porting and your preferences on usage and driveability. Just because someone can port heads, doesn't mean they can match people with the experience of LE or AI. He can tell you which of his custom cams will work best. Picking something out of a catalog is not necessarily going to produce optimum results.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:26 PM

Listen to injuneer, LE and AI will have your 383 making well over 400rw without issue. Someone porting your lt1 heads that doesnt have exp with lt1's can backfire and you can end up with a turd 383.
Call Lloyd at elliot port works. Great customer service and you get to talk to lloyd. He can set you up with exactly what you want. He speced my cam perfectly for my needs.