General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

25th Ann camaro; certificate of destruction...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 08:01 PM

25th Ann camaro; certificate of destruction...

Ok all you 3rd gen camaro lovers out there. Here is my situation:

Ok, I've found what looks to be a good '92 RS 25th Anniversary edition camaro in an auto salvage yard. I've looked around for rust on the frame and there doesn't seen to much. They are coated with antirust stuff right? The crossmember looks alittle rusted and definitly the rotors and knuckles are rusted out. Same with the rear end. They've only had it for a few months.

One question I had is how can I tell that it is a legit 25th Anniversary camaro? The center console has already been stripped from the car, but the main instrument panels and dash are still in tact. It has a 25th Anniversary emblem on the dash and I just noticed it today and wanted to make sure someone didn't just put it there. What do they have that the regular camaros don't?

The airbag deployed and the front windshield has cracks in it where the passenger would have hit their head on it. The right front fender has a dent in it (looks like a small fender bender that you could get into going at about 5-10mph that was probably not related to the incident). I've looked at the underbody and mainly at the crossmember and steering components. I don't see anything that shows any damage besides alittle rust on the few things I noted earlier. All the way around it is almost dent and scratch free (looks like a recent paint job too ). It still has the air dam underneath with normal wear and tear. It would seem to me that the brakes alone couldn't have caused the airbag to deploy + the damage to the windshield and my best guess is they hit a curb or something low like it and they were braking at the same time. Btw, I couldn't really check underneath the rear of the car because it wasn't jacked up high enough, but from what I could see there was no sign of a rearending.

CARFAX DATA(not all of it)

ALERT! Severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 1992 CHEVROLET CAMARO RS (1G1FP23E4NL10****). This vehicle does NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee.

-This coupe has had at least 3 owners. The first title for this coupe was reported to CARFAX by a Tennessee DMV in 1992.
-It was severely damaged and issued a Junk title or certificate by a Florida DMV.
-It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. It was driven an average of 8,818 miles per year, which is lower than than the industry average of 15,000. -The last odometer reading, reported on 09/24/2003, was 98,116 miles.
It was not reported to a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).

Report Summary
1. ACCIDENT CHECK
Total Loss Check- Severe Accident or Total Loss Event Reported to DMV

No Salvage Title Reported
No Loss Due To Fire Title Reported

Junk Title Reported
No Flood Damage Title Reported

No Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Reported
No Hail Damage Title Reported

No Dismantled Title Reported
No Canadian Total Loss Record Reported

No Salvage Auction Record Reported
No Crash Test Vehicle Record Reported

No Fire Damage Record Reported
No Airbag Deployment Record Reported

No Police Accident Record Reported
No Damage Disclosure Record Reported

02/26/2004 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lynn Haven, FL
Title #**********
New owner reported
JUNK TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

02/28/2004 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
JUNK TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

I just found out a whole lot more about the situation. Turns out the towing company impounded the car, then when the owner was a no show they junk it and give it a certificate of destruction and give it to the auto salvage yard for parts then they have to destroy it. They don't keep records (at least that's what they said) on it so I can't find out what actually happened from them. I am also going to see if there might be a way to get the cert. revoked because noone actually looked at it. Maybe through the DMV I can get the guys info and find out more of the story on this car. I am trying to see how the state to state laws differ and see if there might be a way to take it to another state to title it and maybe even get it approved as rebuildable.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:19 PM

Re: 25th Ann camaro; certificate of destruction...

i belive all 92s are 25th cars arent they? so if you establish that its really a 92 car your set (looks like you already have)

all 97 cars are 30th cars i know that. even in a plain V6 the seats had "30th" stiched over a camaro emblem.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:24 PM

`Heritage Edition' package available on all Camaros. There were 8,197 made. Package included first generation Camaro style hood and rear deck stripes, body colored grille, black headlamp pockets, a 25th Anniversary badge on rear spoiler (RS) or hatchback rear edge (Z28), and a 25th Anniversary badge on dash. Initially Heritage package only available as a white car with red stripes; black car with red stripes; or red car with black stripes. Mid-year, additional Heritage Edition colors available: polo green car with gold stripes (this combination also got gold badges and gold accent wheels); and purple haze car with silver stripes.

I am not sure if this is actually legit though and the hatch is gone already, but it does have the emblem in the dash. What was special about the gen 1 hood?

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 07-20-2004 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:41 PM

check out this picture!! The hood has the same design as far as the black stripes go that you can see on the tail. I forget this is a '92. It might just be the original paint job.

camaro heritage ed

Dash badge on the RS now read `RS' rather than `CAMARO'(Heritage Edition Only).
Does this mean the heritage ed. has the rs or camaro emblem?

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 07-20-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:01 PM

all 92's had 25th anniversary on the dash emblem (ask me how i know:wink:
the "heritage editions" are the ones with stripes, and i believe they had 2 special plaques located on the car
the first was right underneath the spoiler on the driverside, and the other one was...i forget?
so basically, unless you see that plaque on it, then it was either removed or it is not a heritage edition (i would take the latter)
good luck in your search
Old 07-20-2004, 09:03 PM

like I said before, the spoiler along with the hatch was removed. The center console was also removed so I didn't see the RPO codes and I don't know how else to tell. I can't remember what the emblem said.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:13 PM

sorry about that, didnt take time to read it all at first
the rpos are located in the small storage compartment in the trunk
i'm not sure by what you mean when you say the hatch was removed? just the part that lifts up?
if so, check that little compartment on the driverside and it should have rpos
if it has z03, it is heritage edition
heritage editions are nothing more than stripes and nameplates though, just to warn you
i love them though, wish i had one
Old 07-20-2004, 09:15 PM

I mean they already sold the hatch. lol, there is a small pond in the trunk compartment seeing how nothing covers the back.

See I'm in the air force and if that happened, we would call it fraud, waste, and abuse. Mainly waste and the violater would get in big trouble, but they aren't held accountable to the laws that military personel are.

I will not give up easy. I can't; a perfectly good car on death row... WHY????
Old 07-20-2004, 09:37 PM

I'm in the same title situation as you are, so let me know if find out how to get a tile out of state or whatever you come up with.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:38 PM

What state are you in just curious?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:05 PM

Florida
Old 07-20-2004, 10:09 PM

Just curious... Why does this matter?
You are buying a car that is totalled and missing many parts from a salvage yard....

If it is a issue where you're trying to get a collectable car, this car will never be a car collectors will pay big money for, it was totalled, currently has water damage, etc... etc...

It sounds to me like this car needs All new interior, speakers, some electronics, any body panels that were hit, new hatch, paint, drive train (if not there), either way the drivetrain probably needs freshened from non use... Your getting a shell and building a car.

For the amount of work it would take to get this back together and make a Nice drivable third gen you could look around and buy a clean third gen.
Look around they are out there.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:36 PM

Check out mine below
Old 07-21-2004, 07:37 PM

Yes it does have the Z03 RPO! Even has the same color grill as the car which is another heritage ed. component and it also has camaro embroided in the seats and I thought that was a special heritage item, or is that standard for 25th ann camaros? I went to the GM dealership and asked him to lookup the VIN and he said it wasn't in his database and looked up the code. He said it was generic for all 25th anniversary camaros. He didn't know much about them though and he might have misread something because he never heard of a heritage edition.

NOOOOOO. It never showed anything in the report that it had been totaled!!! I made a mistake!! I was looking at another camaro when I saw a deployed airbag. This one was still packaged. The crack in the windshield could have been a big rock or something heavy that hit from the outside. I looked really close and there was no blood or skin on the central point where an object hit. Also it looks like the plastic that keeps the glass from shattering was pressed in instead of out which would mean something definitly could have hit it from the outside. Also I noted earlier the towing company didn't keep records (I think they were lying to me though and I will find out tomorrow) and sometimes it is just an abandoned car that they impound and when the owner is a noshow they give it this death warrent and send it away. THEY DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT FIRST! That is my insentive behind this.

It isn't really the fact that it could be a collectable car. More than anything tt's a nice car in great condition. Yes it needs some parts, but nothing major. Most of the stuff it needs I can get upgraded parts for which I would want to do anyway. I checked it out again today and I am really starting to dislike the people at the auto salvage yard. Even though it has some water still inside a car, it has that nice new camaro smell (I was scared to find that out the other 2 times ) that my second one has(it is an '86 IROC in excellent condition). I would need to do some rewiring anyway for a new engine I am building and yes I would trust putting a $4500 LT1 engine in this car with a 4L60e. Still has all the doors, ground fx, front clip, etc.

I will be going to the police station tomorrow to see what I can or can't do and see if they know any loopholes. There is yet another office to try and get a hold of tomorrow (I have talked to alot already including DMV and the tax office where they handle titles and noone could give me a for sure answer) to see what they know about this type of situation.

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 07-21-2004 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Patriot
Check out mine below
Very nice. Glad to see a supporter

Quick Reply: 25th Ann camaro; certificate of destruction...