General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

battery died while driving and car turned off

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:52 AM

Angry battery died while driving and car turned off

While driving home from work yesterday I noticed the interior lights and gauges were starting to go dim. Then it got worse and all the warning lights came on like ABS and service vehicle...also all my gauges were at 0 including mph and fuel. The car was still driving but I knew it was ready to die on me, so I just kept driving to get as close to my house as possible. Then the car starting like hesitating and it died...anyways I took out my old battery and put in a new one. My question is I thought my car only needed the battery to start it and once I'm driving it just sits there. Is it possible that something else is wrong with my car? or is it normal for the car to just turn off while driving because the battery has no juice.

Something I found funny was that my odometer went blank too I was hoping for it to get reset to 0 miles so I can sell the car in a week haha.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:00 AM

Sounds like your alternator is gone-not the battery. Your new battery will die, too, if your alternator is not charging.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:52 AM

You can drive a while on a new battery even if the alternator is bad. Get the sysyem checked now before you drive it to long. If the battery was bad you can usually keep driving but if it dies while driving it usually means the alternator isn't charging it. Free test at most auto parts stores.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 AM

I guess I need to replace the alternator then. Is this something I want to buy from a auto parts store or buy online? If I am to replace my alternator should I get a heavy duty one like in the B4C Camaros or just get a regular one.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 11:09 AM

A standard alternator from an auto parts store will do. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have your alternator bench tested at an auto parts store as well to make sure that is the problem. Also, did you check to make sure you have good, clean connections.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:31 PM

You can always have it rebuilt at a shop. My local shop will rebuild it better than stock for about half of what a new one costs.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:09 PM

Your flux capacitor is obviously shot. Try diverting power from the impulse engines to the deflector dish. If that doesn't work then you probably need a new gyroscopic stabilizer.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM

dude you were totally right about the gyroscopic stabilizer and it only cost me a 10 spot. Anyways I can't have any down time having someone rebuild mine...but If i get a new one, is my old one worth anything if it gets rebuilt? Also should I stay away from buying a re manufactured unit and just spend the extra bucks on a brand new one?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Krypnosis
dude you were totally right about the gyroscopic stabilizer and it only cost me a 10 spot. Anyways I can't have any down time having someone rebuild mine...but If i get a new one, is my old one worth anything if it gets rebuilt? Also should I stay away from buying a re manufactured unit and just spend the extra bucks on a brand new one?
You usually trade your old one in as a "core" and get money off of the replacement alternator. I've never had any trouble with reman units. Usually there are a couple choices as well, depending on which one you get, it might have a lifetime warranty as well.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:05 PM

I guess I need to replace the alternator then. Is this something I want to buy from a auto parts store or buy online? If I am to replace my alternator should I get a heavy duty one like in the B4C Camaros or just get a regular one.

Thanks
The B4C uses the same alternator as any Z28 has. Don't replace anything without getting it tested first.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 PM

Ok, so I replaced my alternator with a new one...but when I was removing the alternator I totally disregarded that skinny little wire that plugs into the back of the alternator and broke the wire right where it goes in the connector. What does that skinny red wire do and how would if affect my car if it was not connected? also... Is it possible to replace that wire and connector with something new?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 PM

Ok, so I replaced my alternator with a new one...but when I was removing the alternator I totally disregarded that skinny little wire that plugs into the back of the alternator and broke the wire right where it goes in the connector. What does that skinny red wire do and how would if affect my car if it was not connected? also... Is it possible to replace that wire and connector with something new?

Thanks
That is the exciter wire (tells the alternator to turn on). The alternator will not work (charge) without that little wire hooked up. I would try to repair it, if possible. New pigtails can be quite pricey.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:29 PM

mine went out awhile ago so i had it rebuilt for $90. it lasted for about 15,000 miles then it quit charging again so i bought a HO reman for 120 i think.

is there only the red wire that connects to the alt. cuz it looks like there should be more grouped with the red one by looking at the connector.

dont feel bad either cuz i did the same thing
Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 AM

Just the one red wire goes in there thats it, they have butt connectors that should splice that wire together no problem. I almost ripped mine out accidently as I forgot it was there, its easy to miss. I am replacing my remanufactured alternator from murrays auto, its got a lifetime and the first one lasted 2 years two months. Would've lasted longer but I think my very leaky powersteering fryed it as the fluid was completely coated all over that poor thing. Make sure your isn't leaking or you might be doomed the same fate as me.
As far as your odometer, don't count on it not working again, I believe there is another battery, like a watch type that keeps the memory in the odometer, unless its something else in the electronics that keeps it going, whatever it is, it should come back. its pretty dishonest to do and is very frowned upon, as it should very well be.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:48 AM

That little red wire ripped out from the inside of the connector. I did try to cram the wire into the hole and drive like that. It seemed to work for a while but now I notice my battery isn't charging anymore. Can I get a new connector with the wire already attached new? I don't want my car to leave me stranded again. If I do replace that connector and wire do I have to remove the alternator again or has anyone done this with the alternator in place. Is this a part that I am going to have to get from a dealer?

Quick Reply: battery died while driving and car turned off