General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

1997 30th Anniversary, Brickyard??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 07:36 AM

1997 30th Anniversary, Brickyard??

Hi - just bought a 1997 30th anniversary camaro. I did some searching on the web and found pictures of it from the previous owners. It had Brickyard decals on it. The current owner who I just bought it from said he didn't like the "BIG" stickers and removed them.
Is there any way to tell if it was a Brickyard car?
It's a Z28, not an SS. Has T-Tops, has the Z4C code on door. white leather interior, white wheels, 76k miles, automatic. I'll post some pictures once I get it detailed.

Looking forward to hitting the road
Chuck
Old 05-27-2017, 11:27 AM

Re: 1997 30th Anniversary, Brickyard??

Originally Posted by chuckm
The current owner who I just bought it from said he didn't like the "BIG" stickers and removed them.
Is there any way to tell if it was a Brickyard car?
It's a Z28, not an SS. Has T-Tops, has the Z4C code on door. white leather interior, white wheels, 76k miles, automatic.
It's important to remember, the Z4C designation stands for a 30th Anniversary Model (white in color with orange stripes, white interior and white wheels) and is not a reference to being used at Indy. That being said, some of the first Z4C model convertibles built were used as Festival Cars at the 1996 Brickyard 400. These cars were shipped to Indianapolis where they were decaled and later sold to the public after the race. To my knowledge the cars used at the track were the only cars to received the Brickyard graphics, but some owners added the graphics to replicate the Pace Car after purchasing them. Something else to note was all the cars I've seen used at Indy that year were equipped with the Houndstooth interior option.

If the car was used at the Speedway, it would have been a low VIN number and had a build date at least a couple months before the race. An article in the May/June 1997 issue of Camaro Enthusiast Magazine documents the Festival Cars by VIN and other than the actual Pace Cars, makes no reference to any T-Top or Coupe being used in an official capacity.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Thanks, I'll look for that article. Car was built 11/96
Old 05-27-2017, 02:22 PM

The date of the race was August 3, 1996 and the documented Festival Cars were built in May of 1996. That would rule out the possibility of your car being used at the Brickyard 400. Still, your car is one of a little more than 3000 Z4C cars built and one of the more desirable fourth generation Camaros built. Congratulation the purchase and hope you enjoy the car for many years to come.

I've attached a pdf. copy of the Camaro Enthusiast article for you. Its pretty hard to find these days.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by peterpar; 05-27-2017 at 02:26 PM.