CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Fuel and Ignition (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/fuel-ignition-74/)
-   -   TRE Fuel Pump (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/fuel-ignition-74/tre-fuel-pump-738510/)

canuck94z28 02-22-2010 02:55 AM

TRE Fuel Pump

I,m thinking that my o.e fuel pump is dead.I am going to hook up a fp gauge soon to verify for sure.My? is what pump do you guys recommend?I have looked@ TRE Performance,s version of Walbro 255;anyone have any experience w/ this fuel pump.I have dealt w/this business previously.Any info. will be appreciated.Btw what is the lph rating of a stk. fuel pump?

koolaid_kid 02-22-2010 08:07 AM

I have sent several people there and they reported that they were pleased, both with the pump kit performance and with the price. TRE claims their pump is quieter than the Walbro, and it has a warranty on it, which the Walbro does not have.
IDK what the stock pump is rated.

canuck94z28 02-23-2010 12:27 PM

Anyone else have any recommendations of which pump to buy.That issue of warranty makes a difference due to the complexity of changing the pump.Btw where can a person get step/step directions on doing that access door modification.

Injuneer 02-23-2010 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by canuck94z28 (Post 6277651)
Anyone else have any recommendations of which pump to buy.That issue of warranty makes a difference due to the complexity of changing the pump.Btw where can a person get step/step directions on doing that access door modification.

Click on the first "sticky" listed at the top of the "Fuel and Ignition" topic listing. Read through the 5 pages. There are several links to diagrams, photos, etc.

Mystery Bird 03-08-2010 12:16 PM

I had a TRE that lasted about 15-20 minutes. They did refund my money no problems though and appologized. Bought a Walbro kit with the harnes and all is well.

canuck94z28 03-08-2010 12:29 PM

update

Yesterday i hooked up a fuel pressure gauge& pressure was 41 psi.This was w/ the key on & engine off.I did this couple times& same results.I,m now going to chk. the ignition coil & module as it is ign. related.The funny thing is i replaced the factory coil w/ a Msd one just recently when i did the opti so the module is needing replacement!:D

canuck94z28 03-12-2010 12:33 PM

update

I went yesterday to a local wrecker and got a used module.I will try that one this weekend.

canuck94z28 03-22-2010 01:58 PM

updates

I had a local auto store test the module& it was good.I then installed the stk. coil but it had cracks around main lead,& the maf plug also had a broken yellow wire which i replaced w new connector.I ended up replacing my Msd coil w/ a brand new stk. one & the car started right up so that Msd coil was the problem:mad:At least this ended up costing me very little,& could possibly explain my weak mph trap speeds @ local track last Sep09.I did not drive car as there,s still snow in yard:(

Mystery Bird 03-23-2010 09:33 AM

Glad to hear you found the problem.

canuck94z28 03-29-2010 12:55 AM

Msd coil

I have a hard time recommending this coil.( only2 yrs.old).I bought it in Oct.07&installed it in May 08.I noticed that it was made in China(lasted a yr.& half!), so when i bought a new one the other day i bought the cheapest i could find(also made in China,jobber type)& car started right up like it hasn,t for many yrs.I think the old way of paying more to get better quality has gone the way of 49 cent gallon fuel.I was also reading in a back issue of GM HIGH TECH that one of the guys in the shootout also did a coil change which turned out to be a mistake & his car ran like dog sh..t which could also help to explain my poor trap speeds relative to the great 60 ft. times.My MSD 6a is from around 1980 so i think overall the quality has gone down.:(