CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Fuel and Ignition (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/fuel-ignition-74/)
-   -   in middle of opti swap, no start (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/fuel-ignition-74/middle-opti-swap-no-start-884285/)

RT808 05-02-2016 07:58 PM

in middle of opti swap, no start

I just swapped my opti and wanted to see if it would start with just the harness and coil wire plugged in. cranks but does not start. not even a hint. battery at 100% on the charger last night.

is this normal? Should i put the wp back and everything? i disconnected battery. I did line up the spline on the opti correctly, i lined it up and after couple gentle pushes it pushed right in flush. bolted up

also the opti i pulled spins freely and the rotor screws are tight. it was only a year old and clean inside. Have not scanned for codes since i tried couple months ago. i stupidly disconnected the battery to check wires before i got the cable and software. Car has been down for months after it stopped running on a city street. fuel pressure good and holds.

shoebox 05-02-2016 09:57 PM

Re: in middle of opti swap, no start

Are you getting any spark?

I know it isn't supposed to matter, but my car never wanted to start without the MAF plugged in. The IAT and coolant sensor might make a difference, too.

RT808 05-04-2016 05:14 AM

ok thanks shoebox, i'll try it with MAF and IAT i also noticed that part of the harness that plugs into the opti on the intake. it come off a thicker bundle, but that part that hooks into the opti harness...it looks ratty. i'll take a pic tomorrow before starting

Injuneer 05-04-2016 08:57 AM

Scan it again for codes. A missing low resolution pulse signal from the Opti (bad Opti or bad wiring) should set DTC 16 when you try to start the engine.

RT808 05-16-2016 07:11 PM

i ran Scan9495 again, but no codes. i did not hook up the IAT since the intake and everything is in the house. rpm stays at 45 it is comm with PCM. i didnt crank 30 seconds, maybe 4 sec. Battery has not fallen below 68% since last attempt at codes. i charged it back to 100% before cranking.

should i start the harness checks? not sure where to start, i guess the opti harness. i want to put the water pump back on and refill with coolant as its been like that for 2 weeks.

Injuneer 05-16-2016 08:57 PM

45 RPM is typical reading before the PCM receives the pulse signals from the Opti. Try cranking for more than 4 seconds. Takes more than that for the code to set.

Rob/Shoebox asked if you have spark????

Shoebox has a guide to testing the wires for the Opti and the ICM.

RT808 05-18-2016 03:09 AM

ok i'll read up on that and find my voltmeter