Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

LT1 Fuel Pump Actual Life

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 02:27 AM

Cool LT1 Fuel Pump Actual Life

Just replaced my fuel pump on a 1995 Z28 via the rear hatch trap door method.

Friend was guessing at a whole bunch of problems but I was pretty confident having done the ICM a few years back (and YES I am on the original Optispark from 1995) that it was the fuel pump, even more so when I used the FP gauge! Although the past month I've been getting the DTC 36 and hard stumble with 50/50 split between die or check engine light and the low res function I still didn't want to believe (or do the work to change out) the Opti. Must confess though was pointing a finger at it and did check the harness. Harness was fine with just a touch of black liquid, 1-2 drops in the bottom of the connector on the opti, so hard to tell and see down there. Few shots of electrical cleaner and mopped up with a long Q-tip, broke than dam posilock tab, a dab of adhesive and shoved it back on in. In future warming up that harness tab might have made it more flexible and less brittle.

Friend was amazed that a) I had a spare fuel pump but b) that I had this neat way of getting into the fuel tank and changed the whole thing in about an hour, friend slowed me down. b) of course due to the amazing online community of f-body owners and shared knowledge. Thanks guys and gals and especially Shbox!

Original fuel pump 1995 to 2006 75K - clue was loss of prime pressure but still worked
Second fuel pump 2006-2017 85K -no good clue just died.
both Acdelcos, top quality gas, twice yearly sip of snake oil in the tank.
Inside tank was spotless.
Car as usual broke down in my driveway, what a good girl.

Stephen