Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Lost keys different key cylinder than stock

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:19 PM

Exclamation Lost keys different key cylinder than stock

Hey guys, long time lurker hoping for some tips on how to proceed on this new chapter of my 99 Trans Am not starting. Long story short, I had my steering column replaced recently because the turn signal arm broke off the switch and the mechanic switched out the key cylinder. I was not too concerned because I finally had fixed the VATS issue that plagued me and everything seemed to be functioning well, until I lost the only set of keys I had yesterday. I'm puzzled on how the mechanic managed to match the resistances so quickly because the bcm is still the same. I know most of the solutions for this problem is just to go to the dealership and get a new key cut but my key cylinder no longer matches my car so I'm going to possibly have to throw down even more money to get the key cylinder changed and I'm trying to avoid dropping another $200-300 on a repair. I still have the old keys, so I can get the resistance value easily. Even if I bypassed the VATS I would still need to engage the key cylinder, correct? Should I contact a locksmith to try and make a key from the cylinder and then get a chipped key cut from that? Can locksmiths make keys from key cylinders? I have a module connected to my pcm at the moment from previous VATS issues which sends the fuel signal to the engine. If anyone has an idea on how to get it started temporarily so I can move it, I'd really appreciate it. Feel free to pm me. Thanks

Steve
Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Re: Lost keys different key cylinder than stock

Since you have the old key, you do know the resistance required for your VATS, as you mentioned. I found this thread that talked about just buying a new cylinder, then getting a key cut with the correct resistance. You can get a steering wheel puller from the Autozone/O'Reilly's to rent, and it's not really that hard a process.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...inder-key.html
Old 01-10-2018, 01:07 PM

Yeah, I talked to a locksmith today and he told me he could cut the key based on the cylinder if it was pulled. My only concern is a lot of threads and videos state you need to be able to turn the key to ON in order to pull the cylinder out but the locksmith said that he wouldn't need to. I actually read that thread yesterday in my mad search but the main problem is I have no idea what they're referring to in the guide without pictures lol. I think the lock retaining screw is what I should be worried about. I've managed to scrounge up some pictures of the cylinder, but I just want to make sure I can disengage it and pull it out without the key before I tear into the steering wheel. I think 18 in this diagram is the thing holding the cylinder in. I also made a post on ls1tech and a user said I need to remove a screw on top of the steering column. I'm getting a lot of mixed information at this point and I just want to make sure I am sure of how the process works without a key. Thanks for your advice so far!
Old 01-10-2018, 02:21 PM

It looks like the same guts as the fbody column.

This is talking about an older column, but it might help:
70's GM column, lost key How to remove cylinder - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Old 01-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Have you tried to contact the mechanic, to see if he kept a record of the key that came with the replacement steering column? Possibly he kept the key after he had a new one cut on a blank with the correct resistance. Or (and it's unclear), if he bought a new cylinder, perhaps he kept the spare key that came with it.