Injector popped out of fuel rail? - Page 2 - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Injector popped out of fuel rail?

Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
  #16  
Registered User
 
OBE1 95Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,952
Originally Posted by Z95m6 View Post
The clips won't fit/work with SVO injectors which many of us run. It's completely fine to run the injectors with out those clips. There is no way for the injector to come out as the fuel rail is firmly bolted in place and holds the injector from coming out.
The clips fit on my 24# and 36# SVO injectors. They also fit my 75# low impedance injectors that I'm running now.
OBE1 95Z28 is offline  
Old 03-02-2007, 02:46 PM
  #17  
Registered User
 
Z95m6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: newton, kansas, USA
Posts: 6,068
Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28 View Post
The clips fit on my 24# and 36# SVO injectors. They also fit my 75# low impedance injectors that I'm running now.
Then they must of redesigned them or something. I've worked on or know 3 different cars here locally that couldn't get the clips to work on the SVO's.
Z95m6 is offline  
Old 03-11-2007, 12:11 PM
  #18  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: wisconsin rapids, WI
Posts: 620
yup the clips fit fine on my 24# svo's and also on my new 42# svo's
jay_lt4 is offline  
Old 11-08-2008, 06:51 PM
  #19  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 302
I have 30lb svo's and mine could not fit with the clips. the orientation is 90 degrees off on the injector. I know it's an old thread, but people search, so i thought Id add in my experience.
merim123 is offline  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:09 AM
  #20  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 427
I know its old, but agree with ^^^. My 42lb ford greentops have 2 slots. The clip fits the top one. If you installed them without the clips (which I did at first), it looks like they have a good chance of moving around.
onefastmx5 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 02:01 PM
  #21  
Registered User
 
canbaufo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Charleston, WV, U.S.
Posts: 1,079
Re: Injector popped out of fuel rail?

Originally Posted by onefastmx5 View Post
I know its old, but agree with ^^^. My 42lb ford greentops have 2 slots. The clip fits the top one. If you installed them without the clips (which I did at first), it looks like they have a good chance of moving around.
Bringing this back from the dead due to inconsistent data via search. I have 42# green tops too and I'm getting ready to reinstall my rail. Would like to be able to do the "key on" priming test before I bolt the rail in to double check that my injectors aren't leaking. I don't have any clips and did an exhaustive search for special clips that may work on a 94 LT1 rail with SVO's. Can't find anything and people either say OEM clips work with SVO's or they say they don't, no consistency. What's really pertinent is that a clip will seal the top of the injector to the rail for the key-on priming / leak test. If the clips only hold the injectors loosely (merely for the injector to not fall out upon pulling the rail) I have no use for them. My OEM clips were discarded by a tuner long ago. In case I want to try OEM, anyone have the PN? Thanks
canbaufo is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 02:08 PM
  #22  
Registered User
 
Z95m6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: newton, kansas, USA
Posts: 6,068
Re: Injector popped out of fuel rail?

Originally Posted by canbaufo View Post
Bringing this back from the dead due to inconsistent data via search. I have 42# green tops too and I'm getting ready to reinstall my rail. Would like to be able to do the "key on" priming test before I bolt the rail in to double check that my injectors aren't leaking. I don't have any clips and did an exhaustive search for special clips that may work on a 94 LT1 rail with SVO's. Can't find anything and people either say OEM clips work with SVO's or they say they don't, no consistency. What's really pertinent is that a clip will seal the top of the injector to the rail for the key-on priming / leak test. If the clips only hold the injectors loosely (merely for the injector to not fall out upon pulling the rail) I have no use for them. My OEM clips were discarded by a tuner long ago. In case I want to try OEM, anyone have the PN? Thanks
The clip just holds the injectors in the rail they aren't needed for sealing it. With new orings the injector will be tight in the rail. They just more than likely won't stay in if you pressure up the rail with out clips or the rails installed.
Z95m6 is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 04:40 PM
  #23  
Registered User
 
canbaufo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Charleston, WV, U.S.
Posts: 1,079
Re: Injector popped out of fuel rail?

Originally Posted by Z95m6 View Post
The clip just holds the injectors in the rail they aren't needed for sealing it. With new orings the injector will be tight in the rail. They just more than likely won't stay in if you pressure up the rail with out clips or the rails installed.
They definitely don't stay in without clips when pressurizing the rail while it's uninstalled (most injectors stayed in the intake when I pulled the rail). I'm hoping to observe the bottoms of the injectors for leakage while priming the system, with the injectors clipped in the rail (rail / injector assembly propped off of the intake). The only way to do this is with a very secure clip on each injector. Some old posts claim the OEM clips securely hold SVO style injectors to the rail and some claim they don't, just hoping for the truth.

Some say the injectors lack a full circle for the clip to hold them securely and that you're just SOL. Others say you can use a different circle on the injector and it's fine. Finally, others claim the half circle must be ground out to a full circle and then you're good to go. LOL, does anyone know which of the three scenarios is correct? Figure the answer is NO but thought I'd take a shot.

I do realize the clips aren't needed for installation. I'd just like to be able to check the injectors for leaks and have the option to visually observe flow patterns before bolting the rail back in. Thanks

Last edited by canbaufo; 03-03-2019 at 04:44 PM.
canbaufo is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 07:31 PM
  #24  
Super Moderator
 
Injuneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: Hell was full so they sent me to NJ
Posts: 66,983
Re: Injector popped out of fuel rail?

I think there was more than one version of the SVO injectors. I remember buying a set of “flow-matched 24# SVO injectors” back in maybe 1996. When I got them they were marked “Denso”. Thunder Racing (a major LT1 supplierback in those days) assured me they were SVO's, that the SVO's were made by Bosch, and also made by Denso under license from Bosch. I just needed a pintle style injector to handle the 85-90 PSI fuel pressure the NOS 5176-EO dry nitrous kit used when spraying.

The Denso version of the SVO's worked with the stock LT1 injector clips. If I remember correctly there were two grooves at the top, and I had to slide the injectors down (outwards) in the rails about 1/8” or so to access the groove for the stock clips. As correctly noted in a post above, the injectors do not need to be inserted hard against the rail to seal. The O-ring effects the seal.

Currently running Bosch 64# injectors at 58 PSI (= 74#/HR), with no clips. Haven't fallen out or leaked in 18 years. And I can move them up and down an 1/8” or so.

Point is, not all SVO injectors are the same. And I recall someone having a groove machined in their's to accept the stock clips.
Injuneer is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
HectorM52
Parts For Sale
26
07-30-2017 11:46 AM
dfarr67
Parts For Sale
3
04-10-2015 07:44 PM
birdblack
LS1 Based Engine Tech
7
12-30-2014 06:59 PM
chevroletfreak
LT1 Based Engine Tech
202
07-04-2005 05:00 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Injector popped out of fuel rail?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.