Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

0441 Evap code haunts me

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 01:41 PM

0441 Evap code haunts me

Hi all, I have a 1997 T/A, and ever since the motor rebuild a few years back, I get a 0441 EVAP SES code. It can vary anywhere from 20 miles after reset to a few hundred. Triggering event for me seems to be when I put gas in it, it throws the light. I had the charcoal canister replaced due to it "coming apart" and shooting charcoal bits up the line into the purge solenoid (original diagnosis), lines blown out to clear them, gas cap (twice), and purge solenoid replaced (twice). Codes for incorrect purge. Last time it came on I was told the purge solenoid, that was new, had blown the cap off, and was replaced again. That time was after I had put gas in it too. I barely ever drive the car, so I put fresh gas in it the other night, and it threw the code within 3 miles of adding gas. Check purge solenoid, looks good to me, cap is on (they RTV siliconed it to prevent issues??) I was promised by my mechanic a while back it would never throw the code again due to all the "work" they did, his tech "guaranteed" it, but that mechanic will no longer work on this car due to it being "cursed". Yes, I know that makes him a douche. Anyhoo, anyone have ideas on why it would throw the 0441 Evap code after adding gas? Again, I can drive it sometimes a hundred or two hundred miles ( back when it didn't break constantly) , sometimes 50, with no issues, then add gas, boom light comes on...thoughts?
Old 02-16-2018, 02:36 PM

Re: 0441 Evap code haunts me

I think you are referencing code P1441. From my own experience, this means that the EVAP solenoid on the passenger side is stuck in an open position (#7 in the picture):

Based on your language regarding the shop that has done the work, I would question if the canister was actually replaced, or if it was if the new one was actually new. When the canister starts to fail, chunks from the canister are sucked up to the engine and get caught in the solenoid, making it stick open. So, one or more of these:

1. Carbon canister is bad, and is sending chunks of carbon through the EVAP solenoid.
2. The line to the solenoid from the canister was not properly cleaned, and has contaminated the new solenoid.
3. The solenoid is bad.

Try taking the solenoid off, then tap it gently onto a paper towel with the vacuum ports pointed down towards the towel. If black particles come out, you know there is still carbon in the lines, or the canister is still bad. If that is the case, pull out the canister, give it a shake. If it makes a rattle, it needs to be replaced. If not, I would blow air through the line from the canister to the engine bay (disconnected at both sides) until clean air is constant. If the solenoid had carbon come out of it, you can attempt to clean it with brake clean. When not powered, air should not flow freely between the ports.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Are you sure they have the vacuum lines connected correctly to the solenoid? See diagram above, or:

http://shbox.com/1/evap_sol.jpg
Old 02-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

P0441 and P1441 are not the same. Actually they have the opposite symptoms. P0441 means there is no vacuum to the canister when purge is in progress. P1441 means there is vacuum to the canister when there is not a purge in progress.
For P0441, the most likely causes are a defective purge valve, a defective purge vacuum switch, or a bad connector at the purge vacuum switch. A bad connector at the purge valve would normally set code P0443.
As Fred stated, this could also be caused by missing or leaking hoses/pipes.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 02-16-2018 at 09:55 PM.