CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Fuel and Ignition (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/fuel-ignition-74/)
-   -   Camaro 2002 Wont Start (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/fuel-ignition-74/camaro-2002-wont-start-800208/)

SD_Fred619 03-01-2011 11:53 PM

Camaro 2002 Wont Start

I'm a Newbie, just got a Burgundy 2002 Camaro 3.8 V6 5 speed from my son who is in the Navy to care for. Noticed occasional slip when going from 2 to 3rd gear, then the engine just kinda choked and now won't start. I'm suspecting plugs-wire -or ignition coils? Appreciate any help.. Thanks

Injuneer 03-02-2011 07:09 PM

Re: Camaro 2002 Wont Start

Scan if for codes. The PCM has a wide range of diagnostics for both the engine and the transmission.

SD_Fred619 03-02-2011 10:48 PM

Yeah good idea thanks, btw nice looking office!

manfire1987 03-04-2011 12:41 AM

I agree with fred.. my guess maybe fuel pump or something... even with bad plug or plug wire should still start just miss fire all over.. check for codes... If you do so PM me the codes and I can look it up on the chevy web site for trouble shooting, what it is etc etc... my buddy gave me his tech log in information.. good luck .... oh and by the way yea I wish my office was as nice as Fred's

SD_Fred619 03-05-2011 11:56 AM

Buddy came over with scanner, Got the following codes P0300 -- P0131---
P0151 P0128. Then while trying to crank engine buddy, put screw driver between plug and ignition coil module something like that to determine no spark no spark, suggesting possibly ignition module control igniter ?? Thoughts ??
What are those o2 sensor codes about ? Crash course here, but man when that little Burgundy Chevy is purring Man o Man lol:)

JustCruzin 03-05-2011 12:18 PM

Allways start with the basics. Fuel, Air & Spark

Injuneer 03-05-2011 02:54 PM

P0131 - O2 Circuit-Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

This DTC determines if the O2 sensor or circuit is shorted to low by checking for a lean condition during steady throttle and PE. O2 sensor voltage < 173.61 millivolts or O2 sensor voltage < 598.96 millivolts in PE mode.

Driver's side pre-cat sensor. Could be a faulty sensor, faulty wiring, are a serious lean condition.

P0151 - O2 Circuit-Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 1)

This DTC determines if the O2 sensor or circuit is shorted to low by checking for a lean condition during steady throttle and PE. O2 sensor voltage < 173.61 millivolts or O2 sensor voltage < 598.96 millivolts in PE mode.

Passenger side pre-cat sensor. Could be a faulty sensor, faulty wiring, are a serious lean condition.

Since the problem is affecting both sides of the engine in the same way, it would be a strange coincidence for both sensors or the wiring to fail. May be a lean condition. I'd recommend checking the fuel pressure, at idle, and on the road with the engine under full load.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

P0128 - Thermostat Engine Coolant Temperature Rationality (does not fail on FTP)

Detects if engine coolant temperature rises too slowly due to an ECT or cooling system fault.

Could be a faulty coolant temp sensor, or a faulty thermostat.

SD_Fred619 03-10-2011 11:07 PM

Can anyone tell me where the Crankshaft position sensor is located?

Pnblll 10-04-2017 08:03 PM

Okay I'm new to this I just registered today I have hope I'm doing this right I have a 2002 Camaro with the with the ls in it I change the fuel pump it's been sitting for 10 years it has fire is getting fuel but it just cranks almost like it's out of time but I know better because it ran when I parked it it's only got 80,000 miles on it

Injuneer 10-04-2017 10:51 PM

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com ! ! !

Couple false start issues....

1 - generally best to start a new thread, not to tack your problem onto someone else's thread. More likely to get help with your own new thread, in the best forum - in this case "LS1 Based Engine Tech"

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1...ngine-tech-19/

To start a new thread, start in the forum you want to post in. That will happen if you click on the link above. When that forum opens, look at the top left corner, under "LS1 Based Engine Tech", and there is a "NEW THREAD" button. Click that, enter a topic, like "2002 Z28 will not start". Enter post text, and then click "Submit New Thread" button at the bottom.

2 - please post a specific topic/problem on only one forum. You also posted this on "LT1 Based Engine Tech", wrong engine. And multiple posts of the same topic can cause continuity issues, and reduce the chances of getting the best answer.

I'll close both boosts. Please copy and paste one of them to a new topic in LS1 Based Engine Tech.

Questions you might want to answer in your new post - have you scanned the PCM for codes? If so, what codes, if any did you get? Have you drained the old fuel and replaced it with fresh fuel? Have you changed the fuel filter? Have you checked the fuel pressure? Did you have the injectors cleaned?