Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

94 camaro 3.4l no start. fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 05:21 PM

94 camaro 3.4l no start. fuel pump?

I am sorry everyone, i am New here.

I have a 94 3.4l camaro that will not start and run without a shot of starting fluid. After a shot of starting fluid it runs on its own. Once you put a load on it, it boggs down and you have to keep playing with the pedal to get it to pick back up. I checked the Schrader valve while running and no fuel came out same as when i cut it off. It can sit 10-12 mins and i can go outside and fire it up. Anything longer than that you have to use starting fluid again. When i checked the fuel filter, all the gas was black. It's almost like a line in the tank has broke down. It has new injectors, upper and lower plenum gaskets etc. I think the fuel pump is just got really weak and aint ready to give up the ghost yet! I need someone's honest thoughts and opinions!!!
Old 10-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Re: 94 camaro 3.4l no start. fuel pump?

I answered your Personal Message (PM) on this topic before I saw you had already posted the problem here. I would have put my response here, rather than in a PM, so others would know you had a response, and they could build on, or correct, anything I said. If they respond here they may be wasting their time telling you something I already told you.

Not a good way to do this.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Copy and paste of PM response, so everyone knows what has already been discussed:

If it eventually starts and runs, there has to be some fuel pressure.

You need to put a fuel pressure test gauge on the Schrader valve. First, turn the key to "run" without starting the engine. Pump will prime for 2 seconds. Pressure should reach 40 PSI. When the pump stops, see how fast the pressure drops. More than 10 PSI in 5 minutes tells you something in the supply system is faulty.

If pressure builds, but drops quickly:

- hole or loose connection on the flex hose in the tank (can’t collapse, it’s under pressure)

- leak in an external line

- leaking injector(s)

- leaking fuel pressure regulator

If it doesn't build pressure at all:

- failed pump

- plugged filter sock on pump suction

- failed flex hose in tank

- plugged fuel filter

- failed fuel pressure regulator

If you have black sludge on the outlet side of the filter, any line, all injectors, etc. could be plugged. Did the car sit a while with untreated fuel?

[b]If pressure builds on prime and holds, you have to tape the test gauge to the windshield and take it out under load (accelerating at WOT) to see if the pump can hold at least 40 PSI.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Administrator

His response to my PM:

Originally Posted by dirttrack74
Thank you so much for getting back with me.
Fuel pressure gauge got no where near 40psi. We key in the on position it struggled to get 22psi. When running, no fuel come out of the Schrader valve. I know my v8s and diesels. But i cant get this figuref out for the life of me. Simple reason is i have never seen or had whats happening to me because one small shot of starting fluid it fires up an idles fine. You can drive it as long as you accelerate EXTREMLY slow it will go. But in all seriousness, I guess a new fuel pump would be the best way to go regardless because of the black stuff, correct? Because it probably sat between ten months to a year and a half. Thank you so much. I will update you tomorrow.
Tommie
Old 10-09-2017, 04:46 PM

Fuel pump was the issue. The old one was pushing just enough fuel to keep it running. I Changed it earlier today and the 3.4l is runnig the best it ever has! Thank you injuneer!!!!