Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

1993 LT1 Fuel Rail Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:14 PM

Smile 1993 LT1 Fuel Rail Removal

Hi friends

I hope you're all doing well.

I'm in the process of replacing my fuel injectors/fuel pressure regulator on my 1993 Trans Am LT1.

I used the fuel line disconnect tool to disconnect the 2 metal fuel lines from the drivers side near the schrader valve, disconnected all electrical connections, removed the vacuum line from the FPR, and removed the 4 bolts on top of the rails.

When I pull the rail up from each side, there seems to be something else in the back attached to the metal lines preventing it from being pulled out.

Most of the videos I've watched were 94+ and don't seem to have the same setup in back preventing it from coming out.

I did notice there are 2 (torx?) bolts near the back - but they seem almost impossible to get to without pulling the assembly out.

Any help would be very much appreciated - thank you so much
Old 05-31-2017, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Re: 1993 LT1 Fuel Rail Removal

1993 factory manual free download available:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

This article shows the variations in the 93 rails and manifold compared to 94-97, but doesn't seem to provide any explanation of your question:

https://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LT1.html
Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 AM

When I replaced my injectors I only lifted the rails up supported by a small cardboard box in the front of them as to not let one rail be lower than the other.
Disconnected the negative battery cable.
Relieved pressure on the gas cap,and schrader valve.
Put rags all over the place.
Gas will leak out of the fuel injector holes in the rails after the injector pull.
The rails were still connected to something in the back but I didn't pull the fuel lines off.
Injuneer had a great write up on the rail removal at Firebirdnation.com in Aug.17,2007 2:09 P.M. under (LT1 fuel rail removal).
Hope this helps.
(The cardboard box was used because unlike the 1994's and up,there is no pipe connecting the front part of the rails).
Old 06-01-2017, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Didn't remember that thread from 10 years ago, but it's specific to the 94-97 rails.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:58 AM

Sorry Injuneer.Just came off a 5 day physically and mentally work week.(Sales).Thought the thread was for all LT1's.My bad.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:04 AM

Injuneer & Fatdog2,

I really appreciate the responses and valuable info.

https://www.nookandtranny.com/Images...1FFuelRail.jpg

This is the setup I have in mine. The hard lines don't appear to come apart from everything in the back - and the fuel lines are "clamped" to the intake manifold area, preventing it from lifting up and over.

I was having misfire and hard cold start issues recently - so I replaced the Opti and now it won't start at all. Checked the fuel pressure and it holds at 10-15psi @ key on engine off. Before tackling the fuel pump for the first time, I thought I'd replace the fuel pressure regulator and injectors first. Fuel filter was changed about 2 yrs ago.

I'm in a slight pickle, because changing the injectors without removing the rails seems definitely possible. But the fuel pressure regulator - not so much.

Please let me know if anyone has changed the FPR on a similar setup.

And I know all about them 5 day end of the month closeout sales binges man. Can be rough :P