CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forced-induction-10/)
-   -   PLease help with ATI tenioner issues and belt issues! Need information (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forced-induction-10/please-help-ati-tenioner-issues-belt-issues-need-information-458910/)

94SLUG 07-01-2006 06:06 PM

PLease help with ATI tenioner issues and belt issues! Need information

D1 Blower non sc

I thrashed about my 15th belt now and have had enough. I dont like the 12 rib 42inch setup as belts are impossible to find unless you go via ATI at 80 bucks a pop. The tensionar sucks only can tension abou 1/4 inch. I have shimmed this setup 5 times each of which are off by about .005 of an inch.

So my question is what are my options? Will 8 rib setup be ok for 12-16 psi? Also, is SD concepts the only way to go still? I have been out of the loop for a while and dont know if anything better has came out. I would also prefer a shorter belt.. Does that mean smaller hub larger blower pully? I want to stay at 12 psi with future room....

What have other done for the tension slash belt setup for ati blowers?

1st and goal 07-01-2006 07:09 PM

Re: PLease help with ATI tenioner issues and belt issues! Need information

Back when I still had my blown Z I brought it down to SDCE and it was some of the best money ever spent.....with the amount of belts you've gone through you could have had them do the tensioner for you ;)

Do it and you won't regret it.

Marc

94SLUG 07-01-2006 08:14 PM

What size belt did you have and what psi were you at?

Sean94Z 07-02-2006 07:40 AM

Save the hassle, go get the SDCE Tensioner. Like Marc said, it's the best money I've spent so far.

CALL911 07-02-2006 01:04 PM

I can't say that for $500 that the tensioner setup from SD concepts was perfect. I can't say for sure if it is all worth it yet because my car won't be ready to turn key for another few days yet, so I don't know how well it does while in the car. But I can say that once I got my tensioner back, there were no instrucitons or directions, and it took a long while to figure out how to fasten the actual tesioner in place in the bracket. For that price, you would think they would send and do for you all that is necissary to get it in place.

BTW, I am planning on running 12-15 #'s of boost in by LT1 383, D1SC FMIC. In your 94, what did you manage to put down to the rear wheels with 12#'s?

1st and goal 07-02-2006 09:57 PM

It was a 42 inch belt and I was running 19 psi :D

The car made 654 RWHP / 580 RWTQ and went a best of 10.02 @ 136.68

As far as directions go.....unless he moved it to the other side of the motor you put it right back where it went in the first place....

CALL911 07-03-2006 11:21 AM

The actual pulley on the bracket once back from SD concepts was moveable without resistance, you had to somehow lock the pulley in place in the bracket on mine before it would move with tension. That was the hard part to figure out.

I have a couple more questions about the car. Where you using the stock PCM still? Or another system like FAST? And who did the tuning?

1st and goal 07-04-2006 03:35 PM

There were marks scribed on the tensioner and you could adjust it, I used to adjust mine when it was in a vice and then use a trusty pry bar to pry it up and get some tension on it.

Not sure if you're asking me or the other guy about tuning....
I was running a FAST system and doing the tuning myself.

EDS Z28 07-04-2006 03:51 PM

The tensioner is part of the reason why I switched to Vortech, they use a stock ford tensioner which is pretty much bullet proof. If you could somehow engineer a stock tensioner onto that thing, that would be the best solution.
The ford tensioner only requires drilling 2 holes on the blower bracket to mount it.

mw 07-04-2006 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by EDS Z28
The tensioner is part of the reason why I switched to Vortech, they use a stock ford tensioner which is pretty much bullet proof. If you could somehow engineer a stock tensioner onto that thing, that would be the best solution.
The ford tensioner only requires drilling 2 holes on the blower bracket to mount it.

Any idea what applications used it?

BADST95 07-14-2006 01:03 PM

Hmmm... I am running an F1 with 22 psi with the stock ATI tensioner system. Everything is lined up perfectly. No slip. Upgrade to a 12 rib pulley system and get the correct belt and be done with it. For as mamy belts that you have gone through, you could have paid for the 12 rib upgrade. And when the belt DOESN'T slip, it's no big deal if the best costs $80 from ATI as you won't have to change it. :)

I know that you need a 42 inch belt... but I have a 43 inch 12 rib belt for sale.

94SLUG 07-14-2006 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by BADST95
Hmmm... I am running an F1 with 22 psi with the stock ATI tensioner system. Everything is lined up perfectly. No slip. Upgrade to a 12 rib pulley system and get the correct belt and be done with it. For as mamy belts that you have gone through, you could have paid for the 12 rib upgrade. And when the belt DOESN'T slip, it's no big deal if the best costs $80 from ATI as you won't have to change it. :)

I know that you need a 42 inch belt... but I have a 43 inch 12 rib belt for sale.

With a SDCE concepts setup I bet you would push almost 30psi.

I have the 12 rib setup and it sucks. Im going to an 8 rib so I can find belts and put a real tensioner on.

BADST95 07-14-2006 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by 94SLUG
With a SDCE concepts setup I bet you would push almost 30psi.

I have the 12 rib setup and it sucks. Im going to an 8 rib so I can find belts and put a real tensioner on.

How much boost are you running?

30 psi? :bs: No way. Another car with the exact same engine combo and blower set up as my car using a cog set up sees the same boost level as I do.

Trust me... no belt slippage. Belt slippage would be evident on the dyno graph and the data log from the F.A.S.T.

My set up works so well that a few other stroker/F1 f-bodies were built using the stock ATI 12 rib system. An FLP customer even ran a 9.34 at 148 mph in his 396 stroker/F1/6 speed combo in his LT1 Camaro Z28.

My car...
https://www.flp2win.com/store/images/mitchsformula1.jpg

FLP shop car...
https://www.flp2win.com/store/templa...ooddrivers.JPG

94SLUG 07-14-2006 05:09 PM

Maybe its because your blower mounts on the top, either way many people on this site have the same problems as I have. Maybe the newer f1 setup is better I dont know. Some people get lucky from the start. I never had this problem with vorteq setups. Oh well another 500 bucks to chuck at the beast.

Nice car and nice numbers.

BADST95 07-14-2006 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 94SLUG
Maybe its because your blower mounts on the top, either way many people on this site have the same problems as I have. Maybe the newer f1 setup is better I dont know. Some people get lucky from the start. I never had this problem with vorteq setups. Oh well another 500 bucks to chuck at the beast.

Nice car and nice numbers.

My F1 mounts in the same location as your D1. The F1 in the Impala with the cog mounts up top. But nevertheless... almost exact same combo as the Impala SS and my 12 rib doesn't slip. I must be lucky along with the other installs that I have seen FLP do over the years. The Vortech tensioner is a nicer set up I must say. But to make more power, you need a Procharger. ;) Eh... $500... it's only money and you can't take it with ya. :D