CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forced-induction-10/)
-   -   opti spark vacuum lines/pcv, valve cover lines (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forced-induction-10/opti-spark-vacuum-lines-pcv-valve-cover-lines-426387/)

BMAN'S SCZ 01-29-2006 03:16 PM

opti spark vacuum lines/pcv, valve cover lines

When everyone installed their supercharger did you reconnect one of the vacuum lines to the intake elbow? Also are you guys connecting the pcv/valve cover lines to the inlet blower elbow or running to a catch can?Just wonder what everyone was doing.Thanks...John

INTMD8 01-29-2006 03:23 PM

Re: opti spark vacuum lines/pcv, valve cover lines

Leave the opti vacuum line connected to the intake manifold, it has a check valve so boost will not be an issue.

The other opti hose should go between your air filter and supercharger/turbo.

If you are going to keep the PCV system, eliminate the hose from the throttle body to the valve cover (as you will boost the crankcase with it in place). And install breather(s) in the valve cover.

This will draw unmetered air in through the pcv system, (now that it's being pulled in through breathers it is not read by the maf), but is much less of a problem than boosting the crankcase.

BMAN'S SCZ 01-29-2006 03:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did disconnect it from the throttle body and intake manifold. I ran the lines from the valve cover and pcv valve to the inlet elbow of the blower and ran breathers in both covers. I was talking with someone and they said in creates to much vacuum under boost and actually pulls oil out of the motor. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks again....John

RICEFEDZ28 01-29-2006 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Leave the opti vacuum line connected to the intake manifold, it has a check valve so boost will not be an issue.

The other opti hose should go between your air filter and supercharger/turbo.

If you are going to keep the PCV system, eliminate the hose from the throttle body to the valve cover (as you will boost the crankcase with it in place). And install breather(s) in the valve cover.

This will draw unmetered air in through the pcv system, (now that it's being pulled in through breathers it is not read by the maf), but is much less of a problem than boosting the crankcase.

If it's not read by the maf will it cause any lean conditions?

INTMD8 01-29-2006 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by RICEFEDZ28
If it's not read by the maf will it cause any lean conditions?

It's not a huge amount of air, but your fuel trims will go postive at idle with the PCV routed this way, which can be compensated for with tuning.

INTMD8 01-29-2006 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by BMAN'S SCZ
Thanks for the reply. I did disconnect it from the throttle body and intake manifold. I ran the lines from the valve cover and pcv valve to the inlet elbow of the blower and ran breathers in both covers. I was talking with someone and they said in creates to much vacuum under boost and actually pulls oil out of the motor. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks again....John

We don't usually run the hose back to the blower inlet for the reason you mentioned, seems to put a decent amount of oil through the blower/induction/intercooler.

The PCV valve hose should remain as stock. (the hose from the PCV valve to the front of the intake). It can only work with manifold vacuum, and the PCV valve will close under boost.

The only hose that should be eliminated or moved is the hose on the passenger side of the engine that runs from the throttle body to the rear of the valve cover.

BMAN'S SCZ 01-29-2006 06:30 PM

INTMD8: Thanks again for the info. So I guess I will connect the vacuum line for the opti back to the inlet side of the blower and reconnect the pcv valve back to the front of the intake, below the throttle body and run the line from the passenger side valve cover under the car to vent. Does this sound right? What is the purpose of the pcv system anyways. Can I just delete it. Does it have anything to do with emmisions?
Thanks agian......John.

INTMD8 01-30-2006 10:46 PM

Well yes.

Opti hose with check valves- intake manifold

Opti hose with no check valve- between air filter and blower

PCV valve- front of intake

Hose from TB to passenger valve cover- Plug nipple on TB. Remove hose from valve cover, replace with breather. Replace oil fill cap with breather. (which is what I would recommend, but I suppose you could just leave that hose open to atmosphere as long as it's not pushing oil out).

You can completely eliminate the PCV system, but the PCV system scavenges condensation and blowby from the crankcase, keeping the oil cleaner. With no PCV, the oil gets more contaminated by condensation and blowby gases, making more frequent oil changes a necessity.